Lightning Strike

What's Hot
fobfob Frets: 1430
Remember when you were a kid and told not to stand under a tree during a storm? Here's why:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Noted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The guy on the right who falls over slowly is lucky to be alive, if he does in fact survive - he took a major current flow right through the top of his head. He may well have life-changing injuries even if he does - the internal damage from that kind of current can be horrific.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I remember John White who played for Spurs was killed by a lightning strike in 1964. He was sheltering under a tree on a golf course. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Hard to know how much current went through his body and how much arced around the outside though, a strike can be tens to hundreds of thousands of amps, and if the whole thing went through your body you'd most likely die. 90% of people survive though
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    I like visiting this page during thunderstorms

https://www.lightningmaps.org
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Would it be as dangerous if they were stood 1-2 metres from the trunk for example?
  • Don’t want to watch it if it’s a snuff movie. Is there a statement to say both survived? If not then it’s the worst sort of viral video possible. 
    No apologies
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don’t want to watch it if it’s a snuff movie. Is there a statement to say both survived? If not then it’s the worst sort of viral video possible. 
    No apologies
    It says three were treated for burns and one is in a critical condition in ICU.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited March 2021
    ICBM said:
    Don’t want to watch it if it’s a snuff movie. Is there a statement to say both survived? If not then it’s the worst sort of viral video possible. 
    No apologies
    It says three were treated for burns and one is in a critical condition in ICU.
    That’s good to know but  you have to watch the video to find out presumably? My opinion is unchanged, it is the worst part of viral social media. You  watch it because your going to be either shocked or amused by someone being killed or badly hurt. I honestly give up on the world sometimes.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It's a bit shocking to see - no pun intended, but wow - duly noted.
    maltingsaudio said:

That’s good to know but do you have to watch the video to find out?
    Yes. I have to admit I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it actually is, I wouldn't have watched it if I'd expected one of them to look as if he'd been killed.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    Surprised any of them survived really. Watching that guy slowly keel over was a bit grim. 

There was a clip floating round for ages via email at work, showing an Indian guy sitting on top of a train then grabbing the overhead HV wires. Not sure if deliberate or accidental but he gets fried. Still makes me feel uneasy thinking about it, he must’ve died. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880

I had a school mate struck by lightening once. 

In secondary school, lunch break, we heard and felt a huge bang. Unlike anything I heard before.
    it was akin to something I felt when a Eurofighter went supersonic overhead a few years back. Immense feeling in your chest and a rapid bang like a shotgun blast. 

We all ran around excited because the tower bombings/terrorism thing happened and so being kids we all thought it was the terrorists bombing us. 

It wasnt. 

What had happened was a guy called Issy was playing football in the cages and had headphones on and a can of coke in hand. 

Full on strike it was, heart stopped and everything. Absolutely mental. 

Staff gave him CPR and he got taken to hospital. 

He was back in school after he recovered alive and well. No idea where he ended up or if he is still going strong. 

But I always remember it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom