Unexpected Cash Converters Bargains!

What's Hot
Happy post to start the day!

Long story short, I found out on Sunday that I needed a decent vocal mic at short notice for a studio session tonight.

I scoured all the usual channels for any possibilities and only found a few options locally on eBay but all on auctions finishing too late or priced quite high. As a last resort I decided to call my local cash converters first thing Monday just to see if they had anything in. This would save me stressing about something arriving in the post on time or travelling further afield so I decided it was worth checking as their website is useless and doesn't let you search stock in a specific store.

The guy on the phone said he'd check the stock and comes back saying "we've got a Rode P48 NT1A which comes with the holder and the spit shield thing" (lovely haha). I asked how much and he said £80.. "OKAY I'll come down straight away" I say.

While I'm at the counter paying for it I notice a 4 channel Behringer interface sat on a shelf with no price on it. My Scarlett 2i2 died on me last week so I've been on the lookout for a reasonable replacement so I had a quick Google to check the new price and they're currently on sale at around £90. I asked the guy how much it was and it was priced at £139.99! I told them the new price was only £90 and they did a quick check online and confirmed they'd made a mistake and offered it to me for just £60. This thing has 4 Midas preamps in so I decided it was definitely worth £60 even as a short term solution. So I walked away with a Rode NT1A with original cradle and pop sheild and Behringer UMC404 interface both in good condition and fully working (also 6 month warranty supposedly!) for £140  :)

Interested to see how the Midas pre's sound tonight!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 421
    Crack Converters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    Great buy. Congrats
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7892
    edited March 2021
    Always found very little in there 99% of the time,  however did get a mint re-20 for £180 and a well used but excellent sounding Senn 414 u5 for £130
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2433
    I bought a very tasty vintage mic from Cash Converters recently only to discover it was definitely stolen. To their credit they were really helpful at sorting it out.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Result!

CC does have some bargains among the over-priced stuff. I sometimes use their online portal for searching and buying from all of their stores: https://uk.webuy.com/

(caveat: I've never bought guitars there, only FX, cameras, etc)
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    @goldtop ; ooo are they the same people as Cex? I didn't know that!
    ^ Yes. You can search your local store, too. At first it looks like they have everything, but you have to use the filter boxes on the right to limit to what's actually available.

(I've also been given decent prices by them when selling a few bits, too. Not everything they've got has been nicked by crackheads!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
    Many years ago there was a “good” cash converters on my way home. I used to go stick my head in literally every evening. 

Got a lot of music gear, which for some reason was always priced well under market (this was 15 years ago). I was also very short of spare cash at the time. 

I still have some of the pedals I bought. DD3 for £20, the g7 capos - bought both at £2 each. The TU2 was £10. 

Good times ...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    goldtop said:
    ^ Yes. You can search your local store, too. At first it looks like they have everything, but you have to use the filter boxes on the right to limit to what's actually available.

(I've also been given decent prices by them when selling a few bits, too. Not everything they've got has been nicked by crackheads!)
    The stuff on the CEX site is not the same as the stuff in store at the Cash Converters stores near me - surely they are not the same thing? 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4300
    CEX and cash converters are different , I’ve bought loads of stuff from CEX ,they are ace for electronics . Is cash converters open then I thought they were shut due to covid 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    CEX and cash converters are different , I’ve bought loads of stuff from CEX ,they are ace for electronics . Is cash converters open then I thought they were shut due to covid 
    They are doing click and collect I believe
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    goldtop said:

The stuff on the CEX site is not the same as the stuff in store at the Cash Converters stores near me - surely they are not the same thing? 
    Oops! You are right. I'm off to beat myself soundly...! :anguished: