Newbie's introduction and fretwire question

Hi all,

I'm pretty new on the Fretboard forum - I'm only made one post up to now. I have a long-standing ambition to build a flamenco guitar from scratch and have all the materials to do so - twice - bought plans for a 2003 Reyes from the States . . . However, I'm trying to develop my non-existent woodworking skills before I go anywhere near my precious tonewoods. I'm an engineer by inclination and training but I can't see many transferable skills between the two disciplines so I've been learning on the fly.

I have owned and played guitars for 60 years or so - always classical. I bought my current guitar in 1968 when I was a student; I was doing holiday work in a steelworks at the time and it cost me more than a 48-hours week's worth of wages (it was 24 guineas - £25.20) when I was making £20 a week . . . Couple of weeks ago I also bought a nylon-strung Aria Sinsonido so I can practice in silence.

Over the past couple of years I've bought and built a Chinese Stratocaster kit just to get the hang of setting it up, then bought another Strat in need of attention for more practice - someone had messed up the truss-rod so I removed the fretboard, repaired the truss-rod and replaced the fretboard again. Still nothing to do with classical guitar building but I understand the principles a little better now.

A couple of months ago I started building a headless travel guitar with a classical  neck and fretboard - it's after the style of an Aria Sinsonido crossed with a MOOV - which is solid-bodied with built-in amp allowing it to be heard through headphones. I'm using poplar rescued from a 100-year old piano's keyboard lid for the build, with recycled oak from an old drawer front for the fretboard. I was able to buy the electronics from eBay - the amp comes with a piezo under-saddle pickup. I found photos of the Sinsonido online and deduced the dimensions based on known ones - scale length, width of nut etc. Of course, I now have one but I'm sticking to my original idea - seems to be working so far . . . Apart from my bandsaw and Safe-T-Planer it's all been handwork with traditional tools; planes, chisels, saws, cabinet scrapers etc. 

I'm in a position where I want to buy fretwire next and I'm wondering about the gauge of them - is there a preferred gauge for a classical guitar? My source of supplies has been eBay for tuners, nut, saddle, amp etc and I've been looking at fretwire there too. Some of it is described as having a slight radius to aid installation - will this flatten out to suit a flat fretboard?

TIA for any help

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments