Poxy Ponzi schemes - FX Trading

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    One of the people I've encountered talking about this stuff lately is of a similar age to me (40s). She is a successful business woman, though the lockdown has affected her business hugely.

This isn't just kids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Have you got an example of one of these schemes? A couple of friends of mine have recently asked me if kids of theirs can come and talk to me about careers in finance/trading, which surprised me because I thought this world had lost it's cache after the GFC.

As @m_c said, at least with equities you have an edge. Your edge is that shares increase over time (simplistically put) and they pay you a bonus every year. FX pairs trading really is a zero sum game, and you know that old trope - if you don't know who the mug in the room is.....
    @yocky ;
    CashFX is one of the schemes/scams I'm aware of. You won't get much info though, I suspect. Basically, you join and pay a subscription. They promise to invest the money for you, I think, and you'll get pay outs. But, you get better pay outs if more people join up under your reference number. I don't think the trades ever make money, it's just the pyramid scheme continuing.

My son isn't involved in that. He gives trading "signals" for free that he gets from his "colleagues/friends", and hopes you will sign up to a trading platform using his affiliate link. It's more transparent what's going on, but I don't think it will make anyone rich anyway.

• yockyyocky Frets: 809
    roundthebend said:
    @yocky ;
    CashFX is one of the schemes/scams I'm aware of. You won't get much info though, I suspect. Basically, you join and pay a subscription. They promise to invest the money for you, I think, and you'll get pay outs. But, you get better pay outs if more people join up under your reference number. I don't think the trades ever make money, it's just the pyramid scheme continuing.

My son isn't involved in that. He gives trading "signals" for free that he gets from his "colleagues/friends", and hopes you will sign up to a trading platform using his affiliate link. It's more transparent what's going on, but I don't think it will make anyone rich anyway.

Eww. That does look particularly scammy, thought there was going to be more of a veneer of sophistication from what you said.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/cash-fx-group

Looks like they've fairly cleverly positioned themselves far enough out of reach that the regulator is still not effectively able to deal with them after 18 months. Nasty.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    @yocky ;

That's what I was being told about. The way I looked at it was if I deposit £5k and sign up 10 friends that deposit 5k, that's £55k they've got. Who's to say that they haven't just moved that to one side, and every so often they give you a bit back and say "we did a great trade here is £xxx" whilst actually doing nothing? 
     Then who's to say they wouldn't get to a certain point and just piss off with everyone's money? 
    mmmm hmmm  :/
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited March 2021
    Get the Kids to buy Black Tulips..... they're a sure fire winner. No way can you lose money, and, provided you buy whole ones, you can always grow them and flog the flowers for profit.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Sounds a bit like this.  He signed up & then got messages on what to invest in, the trades didn’t do well. He went head-to-head with a friend who was knowledgeable about the markets, to see who did best.

https://youtu.be/doi5NtjGu0s
    edited March 2021
    I'm trying out some betting tipsters the last few months.
    One guy claims £20k profit in the last 5 years. He said to bet on something at 4/1. I used an odds comparison site within 10 seconds of the message arriving and it was 2/1 so I didn't put it on.
    The bet won, and he recorded it as a £400 profit, so I contacted him and said I don't think that's right. The most anyone following your tip could have got is £200.
     He basically told me tough shit, I should have put it on regardless of the odds and been happy.
    I said yeah except this is happening regularly and it makes the profit figures you're advertising completely unachievable. He didn't reply.

Also who on earth puts £100 on a bet? Most people would do a tenner, so it's already 10x inflated.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools, but that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever....
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Emp_Fab said:
    You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools, but that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever....
    Agreed, if you gamble like this guy was telling me to! Everything just seems to be a scam these days to make the owner money at everyone else's expense.