Replacement nut for angled headstock

What's Hot
I just ordered a new bone nut for my project as I messed up the old one. When it turns up it seems the bottom is square to the side (where it meets the fretboard), and as the headstock angles back (Gibson style), the nut angles back, away from the fretboard. The old nut, not so much. 

Should the nut have an angled bottom to compensate for the headstock angle? Looking round at the nuts for sale no one mentions the angle so I’m not sure if I’ve bought the wrong one, or I’m just supposed to shave it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7145
    tFB Trader
    The nut is normally on a shelf that's parallel to the fretboard and at 90° to the end of the fretboard 

The only guitars I know of where the base of the nut is at the same angle as the headstock are old Martins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    The nut is normally on a shelf that's parallel to the fretboard and at 90° to the end of the fretboard 
    Hmm. That would make more sense. I’ll take another look. 
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    Right you are, @SteveRobinson, The new nut was just a tad deeper than the shelf, so it jutted out a bit. You live and learn.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14844
    Looking round at the nuts for sale, no one mentions the angle so I’m not sure if I’ve bought the wrong one, or I’m just supposed to shave it?
    The normal procedure would be to purchase an over-sized blank and cut the necessary bevel yourself. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.