using ADA MP1 to record

What's Hot
I'm starting to look more at using my ADA MP1 rack unit to record some guitar parts.

I've got an acceptable home recording setup, driven by the Apogee Ensemble interface, which is great for home use.

I'm currently using a Kemper plugged into the Apogee via SPDIF, but could also just use the left/right out into channels on the apogee.

(just for context o you know what's used on the apogee already)

What are the options and potential pitfalls to using the MP1 to record into the apogee ? should I look to just take a feed out, disable the pre-amp on the input on the apogee, or should I look at something like an Strymon irridum and feed the mp1 into that and then feed that into the apogee for a more 'amp simulated' sound ?

I know @digitalscream has done something similar with the MP2 so I'm curious to my options and understanding the impact of the,

Advice appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083
    I'd have thought the MP-1 into an amp-simulated front end would sound a bit balls.

The simplest option is what I did - straight from the line-out on the ADA into a line input on the interface. Then IRs, and job done.

I also use it with a solid state power amp (Harley Benton GPA-100), into a cab at reasonable home volumes, with a supercardioid mic in front for ambient noise rejection. That works surprisingly well, too.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    Great feedback, just to clarify you're suggesting using a software IR on the track say a plugin, you're not suggesting a device in between that does IR's like a Torpedo or Ox or something (appreciate that's a power amp device normally)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083
    darcym said:
    Great feedback, just to clarify you're suggesting using a software IR on the track say a plugin, you're not suggesting a device in between that does IR's like a Torpedo or Ox or something (appreciate that's a power amp device normally)
    Correct, software-only.
    <space for hire>
    really good advice, thank you
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    darcym said:
    Correct, software-only.
    That’s the best option from a post processing flexibility and cost option, but it might add latency when monitoring your playing. How much will depend on your setup and sensitivity to latency.

If you monitor direct it will sound awful as there’s no cab emulation.

A hardware cab sim would allow you to monitor a cab emulated signal, but would cost money.

Try the software plugin method first.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I'm liking the look a lot of the two notes software "wall of sound" the cab IR's seem pretty reasonably priced, more so when I only want a few variations.

However...I'm assuming I could get a two notes hardware device like https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/cab-simulator-pedals/two-notes-torpedo-cab-m-plus-pedal and load the IR's into it, then just put that into the recording interface zero latency with the same good IR's that wall of sound seems to provide.

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1287
    I used to run ADAs in a rack but never recorded them direct. Currently use a Revivaldrive and a Mooer Radar. Knowing how the ADAs sound I think the ADA into the Radar would sound pretty good, and a cheaper option than the Iridium. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14751
    The raw pre-amp signal might sound a bit fizzy and sterile. EQ, compression and reverb processors can remedy that. Worst case scenario, you can re-amp the recorded signal through a miked-up loudspeaker cabinet.

If your pre-amp has a 'Speaker Emulated Line Out socket, try that.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.