Genre defining opening tracks?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    JerkMoans said:
    Radio Free Europe - REM

or The Headmaster Ritual - Smiths.  I know it opened their second album, but it's where Johnny Marr really kicked into gear.

Good call on Headmaster Ritual, but c'mon The Smiths / The Smiths has got to be one of the most eye opening debuts of all time.

The opening line "It's time the tale were told, of how you took a boy, and you made him old"

Boom! You're not getting away with that too easily. Stand by for action, here's something very interesting coming your way.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Stuckfast said:

Oh yes,  I remember John Peel playing this for the first time, just amazing, take something so simple and make it ground breaking.  I still listen to it today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I'm surprised no-one's got there before me, but side one track one on the Ramones first album is the best example I can think of.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Black Sabbath is the prime example as many have said.

How about Welcome to the Jungle? Pretty much all your sleazy LA glam metal right there. Told you all you needed to know about the scene and the band. 

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Whether you’d call them genre defining I’m not sure but Gates of Delirium by Yes and Action Strasse by S.A.H.B. changed my world when I first heard them as an impressionable 11 year old. Until then I listened to a steady diet of top 20 pop and was unaware of anything else. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    The moment progressive rock was born, for better or worse:

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7136
    edited March 2021

• LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I think Good times, bad times left a pretty good marker.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    UFO - Natural Thing from the live album Strangers in the Night
    I don't really know UFO at all, what genre would that have defined?
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    How about The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) which sparked a recording chapter of 200 or so albums and a huge cultural movement around it?

• Stuckfast said: 

I second that. It's a stonker.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Gloria from Horses by Patti Smith. A twisted cover launched with "Jesus died for someone's sins, but not mine." 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    /\ .   I put this in a Thread on memorable opening lines of songs a while back. As the opening line of the first song on Patti Smith's first Album it's amazing, plus the rest of that song is excellent.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Surprised no-one has mentioned Smells Like Teen Spirit yet. While it's not the first grunge song nor Nirvana's first album, I think for a lot of people it was their introduction to grunge and it still more or less defines it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757
    Not an opening track per se but the Sex Pistols first live appearance on TV on Manchester TV Show ‘So It Goes’ playing Anarchy In The UK must have been a stop the clocks moment for those that saw it:

https://youtu.be/94DNV6oM8HU

Similarly The Damned's 'New Rose', never got over the thrill of it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    ICBM said:
    Surprised no-one has mentioned Smells Like Teen Spirit yet. While it's not the first grunge song nor Nirvana's first album, I think for a lot of people it was their introduction to grunge and it still more or less defines it.
    I think I first heard it on the late-night heavy metal TV show Raw Power (later known as Noisy Mothers).

On first hearing I thought what the hell is this rubbish, the second time I thought it was absolutely astounding.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 631
    Not an opening track per se but the Sex Pistols first live appearance on TV on Manchester TV Show ‘So It Goes’ playing Anarchy In The UK must have been a stop the clocks moment for those that saw it:

It was that.