[Update: 5 weeks in!] I quit smoking.. and I’m confused and sad.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• You will feel better for it but it takes a while, I certainly felt no immediate benefit, but it does come - any slight cough you have will go, heavy feeling in your chest/lungs will go as all that tar gradually clears, breathing gets clearer....plus your clothes won't smell anymore. And you'll have more money for guitar stuff!
    ^ All of that. Thinking back to when I still smoked (about 8 years and counting since I quit) I genuinely don't know how on earth I afforded it! Since then I've had loads of overseas holidays, bought expensive guitar and bike toys and am just better off in every way, both health and finances.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    You will feel better for it but it takes a while, I certainly felt no immediate benefit, but it does come - any slight cough you have will go, heavy feeling in your chest/lungs will go as all that tar gradually clears, breathing gets clearer....plus your clothes won't smell anymore. And you'll have more money for guitar stuff!
    ^ All of that. Thinking back to when I still smoked (about 8 years and counting since I quit) I genuinely don't know how on earth I afforded it! Since then I've had loads of overseas holidays, bought expensive guitar and bike toys and am just better off in every way, both health and finances.

Yeah, but you stink of soap and fabric conditioner.!

:)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3325
    Well done for sticking with it. 
    The trick is not to use the nicotine replacement stuff as it only keeps you chemically addicted. 

Try and forge new habits. 
    I missed the ability at work to slink off outside for a smoke and a break from the desk and emails. 

Now I still slink off outside but with a coffee, I use an app on my Apple Watch to focus on my breathing for 1 minute whilst I drink my coffee and I go back inside feeling relaxed and relieved. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited April 2021
    5 weeks smoke free today. 

I’ve been out I think 3 times total, one for a blood test, which was a test, er excuse the pun as those became a fairly common occurrence and were always a smoke before and straight after thing. But it was alright, I took a can of coke in and had a wispa instead, and went to Pmt to pick up a pedal after.. lol. 

Went to visit mum, not so hard, as no one else in
    the fam smokes so, managed that just fine, plus there is a doggo and lots of food there! 

But there was a bloke next to me in traffic smoking, and I could smell it. It was half good, half kinda nasty. I’m not at the stage just yet where its repulsive. I’m not sure I’ll ever be. 
    I try and look at it like ‘thats a peculiar thing to do’ or ‘I don’t need that’, which sometimes helps. 

The other time I went to the corner shop for lunch. Despite the baccy being right there, I was in control. 

I fear if something bad happens (my mum has a few health concerns for example, but I’m not talking as bad as death), that I will easily smoke again, and justify it. In fact I feel like part of me knows this will happen. 

I suppose if it does I’ll try to stop the next day again. Like not punish myself too hard but just get back on the wagon soon as possible. 

I still miss it. I also fear going drinking or when places are safe and we go and eat out. It doesnt happen often, but is there anything as good as a fag whilst tipsy?! 

I’ve been banging out the trebors still, and honestly I’ve been eating like a horse. 

But so far so good tbh. I think currently I feel confident I have this. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    This is amazing news, I was worried to ask. Fucking mental mate
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    viz said:
    This is amazing news, I was worried to ask. Fucking mental mate
    Ahh cheers man! 
    Damn I just calculated it, and its 5 weeks not 4... lol. Bleedin missed my month anniversary didnt I.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26626
    Nice one. Think I'm about 6 weeks in now, not quite sure - I'm deliberately not tracking it.

As I said before, I've gone with vapes. All going swimmingly thus far, and it's saving me ~£320 a month.
    <space for hire>
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    skunkwerx said:
    5 weeks smoke free today. 

Treat yourself. Make a rough calculation on the money you saved, and buy yourself something nice, like a Fuzz pedal, or a Epiphone or Harley Benton copy of a Les Paul Special. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Awesome.  I’ve been wondering about how you were getting on.  Really pleased for you.  Like stratology says, treat yourself.

Really pleased for @digitalscream too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    5 weeks is great, no point going back now - you've done the hardest bit! Only roll-ups smell nice to me now, and that's years down the line.