Disappointing Man Cave

What's Hot
At the back end of last year we remodelled our house and part of this was to convert an internal garage, most of which was destined to be my music room.  I had to adjust my requirements somewhat as it also became necessary to use it as my office for home working.

All went well and I moved my kit in there but I discovered a problem. It sounds totally shit in the room. The nicest sounds I get in there are from a Roland Microcube. Also I’m finding the room to be far from relaxing place to be. That might be something to do with having to do my day job in there as well.

The room is not big just under 3m square roughly and I did have concerns that I’d have acoustic issues. I didn’t think it would quite so bad though.  I know I need to get a rug in there but will have to wait until the shops open again to find one suitable that ai like.

So does anyone have any tips on how to improve the acoustics and generally make the place ‘feel’ better? I have a horrible feeling the answer is that I have ‘too much gear’! Oh the horror of that notion...

Here’s a partial panorama.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654

So does anyone have any tips on how to improve the acoustics and generally make the place ‘feel’ better? I have a horrible feeling the answer is that I have ‘too much gear’! Oh the horror of that notion...

The answer is more likely that you do nt have enough, if any, absorbers in there.  You say 3m square for the area, but is that 3m2 or 3m x 3m?  What are the actual dimensions inc height?

My studio / office space is a converted single garage.  Floor area is approx 8.25m and, whilst it isn't great, it is usuable due to some DIY acoustic treatment.

Unfortunately if the space is small, and particularly if you have two or more dimensions of a similar value, you will have problems (in my space width and height are almost identical giving me a big dip at 125Hz).  You can make a big difference by hanging DIY absorbers (sheets of Rockwool RW3 or similar) at the mirror points and across corners.

Here's the front end of my room, note absorbers at side and above mix position plus across front corners.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    The kids playroom/my office is a converted garage, I keep my stuff in there but play in the kitchen or lounge as always sounds better.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6808
    edited March 2021
    Get some home made acoustic panels in the walls. Carpet wont do much - heres a youtube video that goes through why.
    The rest of his content seems pretty well researched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDHo1jNhss
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Needs Lego, remote controlled cars and and one of those nice chair/footstool combos from IKEA. 

And a Debbie Harry poster, obviously. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Get some home made acoustic panels in the walls. Carpet wont do much - heres a youtube video that goes through why.
    The rest of his content seems pretty well researched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDHo1jNhss
    Thanks, that video was interesting.  Will check out some of his other stuff at some point.

• munckee said:
    The kids playroom/my office is a converted garage, I keep my stuff in there but play in the kitchen or lounge as always sounds better.
    Unfortunately getting me out of the dining room was one of the reasons to get a dedicated room.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    Some useful tips here too...