My guitar is still making a sound through my amp when I turn volume down on the guitar

kipplekipple Frets: 362
edited March 2021 in Making & Modding
My guitar is still making a sound through my amp when I turn volume down on the guitar.
It's not a major deal but I don't think it should do it and would like to fix it myself.
Can anyone tell me what is possibly causing it
How do I trouble shoot and fix ?

I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73241
    What type of guitar?

The likely cause is a bad contact at the ground end of the pot track, but there are different wiring schemes which might mean it's something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kipplekipple Frets: 362
    ICBM said:
    What type of guitar?

The likely cause is a bad contact at the ground end of the pot track, but there are different wiring schemes which might mean it's something else.
    It's a Kramer pacer vintage model. two volumes 1 tone and push pulls. not even sure what the Push pulls do.
    When you say the pot track does that mean it would need a replacement pot if that was the issue ?

This is what it looks like..https://i.imgur.com/c5jev2P.jpg

kipple said:

It's a Kramer pacer vintage model. two volumes 1 tone and push pulls. not even sure what the Push pulls do.
    When you say the pot track does that mean it would need a replacement pot if that was the issue ?
    Probably not, it's usually fixable.

Is it both volumes that do it or just one?

The push-pulls probably coil-split the pickups, but it's hard to see for sure. The wiring is a total mess though, it would actually be worth rewiring the whole thing properly and getting rid of 90% of the excessive amount of cabling, most of which is unshielded - that would (probably drastically) reduce noise as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    kipple said:

Probably not, it's usually fixable.

Is it both volumes that do it or just one?

The push-pulls probably coil-split the pickups, but it's hard to see for sure. The wiring is a total mess though, it would actually be worth rewiring the whole thing properly and getting rid of 90% of the excessive amount of cabling, most of which is unshielded - that would (probably drastically) reduce noise as well.
    I will check tomorrow if it's both or one

I checked today and it's actually both pots are doing it 

It's hard to see how the pots are wired in the pic, but it's possible they're not done the best way. It's also possible both have the same fault, although that's slightly less likely.

Would it be possible to take one of them out and get a clear pic of the wiring connections on it?

That is wired the proper way...

In that case the pot may have a faulty connection at the ground end. If you look at the connection on the right in the pics, with the short wire that connects to the pot casing, you can see it's rivetted through the track board. If this connection isn't fully tight, the pot won't go quite to zero. Try squeezing it hard with a pair of narrow-nose pliers and see if that fixes it.

The push-pulls switch the pickups to parallel, by the way - a bit like coil splitting in terms of tone, but both coils remain on and you still get hum cancellation.

Which part do I squeeze do you mean the rivet

kipple said:
    Which part do I squeeze do you mean the rivet
    Yes. Tighten the metal terminal piece against the pot track on the board.

Made no difference, I got 2 replacement pots is it better just replacing them

kipple said:
    Made no difference, I got 2 replacement pots is it better just replacing them
    Probably, they're not great quality anyway.

Best to completely rewire it - use the shortest sensible length of shielded cable in each place, get rid of all the unshielded stuff and keep the exposed core ends as short as you can, including where the pickups connect to the pull-switches.

Ok will do, Thanks for helping me again 
    You are a godsend thanks