SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Cartridge & stylus for my deck

stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
Looking out for a decent cartridge and stylus for my Thorens deck.
Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    which one?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    TD-166 mk 2

So looking something to fit the Thorens head shell
    Anyone?

Goldring, Ortofon etc etc

MM is fine 

Depends what you want? What do you mean by decent? Are you looking to upgrade an existing cartridge? Ballpark budget - one man's decent is another's bargain basement.

If it was mine - I'd stick an Ortofon 2M blue on but until you try a wee bit harder with this thread people are going to struggle replying to it.

Well I've looked at the 2M Blue, just in the past have only ever used Ortofon Concord carts on things like 1210s in clubs.

I listen to mainly Rock, Jazz and Electronica. Not a huge Classical buff, so don't need 'super clean'.

The deck is on its way to me now minus a cartridge, courtesy of an Ebay win.

So I'm open to suggestions, but as I mainly used Goldring in the past that would also work for me I reckon. Just haven't owned a deck for ages and am a bit 'out of the loop'

Budget £80-200 I suppose or thereabouts. 

I have a set of Harbeth monitors in my studio, so will use those. They show detail really well and I've owned them for a very long time, so will probably use these at home for now.

My 'studio engineering mind set' head cannot put up with 'Hi-Fi nonsense'.

So I prefer solid stuff that will work well and is easy to service. However with carts I am seriously 'out of touch' with what would be deemed good / reasonable.

So any help will be appreciated.

My old Hi-Fi was a Thorens TD 166 mk 2 (hence why I'm buying another, as easy to fix and well built, plus easy to upgrade), an Onix OA21 and a set of Rogers bi-amped LS speakers (I forget which model)

• vizviz Frets: 10776
    Goldring 2400 ftw.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 269
    edited July 2014

I use an ortofon 2m red & really pleased with that, the blue is a worthwhile upgrade, check out the link, these are great people to deal with & just outside Exeter, mike b.

audiodestination.co.uk

The 2M series is a different beast from the concords - they are DJ carts as you know. I have the 2m blue on a 1210 though - it works well.
    So anyone got one for sale?
    Picked up an Ortofon VMS20E mk2 to tide me over whilst i search. At least I know these cartridges from previous use, so it'll get the ball rolling for now.