Turntable recommendations?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
I'd rather not faff about to change speeds. 

So far the pro-ject classic evo and the techincs 1500 look good. Any experience with either? Anything else i should look at?

Also, any suggestions for amps at around 500 or lessm and speaker suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150
    I’d also look at rega. Probably the planar 6 in that price range. Amps, look at used as you’ll get far more for your money, same with speakers TBH.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Reverend said:
    I'd rather not faff about to change speeds. 

So far the pro-ject classic evo and the techincs 1500 look good. Any experience with either? Anything else i should look at?

Also, any suggestions for amps at around 500 or lessm and speaker suggestions? 
    I have the 1200GR it is superb. The 1500 is afaik the same core system with less of the DJ features.
    The direct drive sound is very precise with excellent timing and bass weight, dead easy to use too.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    edited March 2021
    I recently bought a Pro-ject Carbon Evo TT and it sounds ace. I also have a Rega P2 and I prefer the Evo. The fact it also has a speed box for easy 45/33 is a definite benefit.... changing the belt over was a PITA at times on the Rega.

My speakers are Dali Zensor 3, which for the price are extremely well reviewed and I imagine, as they are discontinued probably available at a decent price. My amp is a Yamaha AS501. To be honest, I have no complaints at all. Having said that, I’d like to go and listen to an Audiolab 6000a amp and a couple of others when things get more normal.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    edited March 2021
    can't go wrong with Rega
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2930
    Project carbon or the Rega - there is nothing to choose between the two.

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    Can also recommend Rega. Have had P1 for a few years. No speed switch though. I only ever listen to LP's. You can change the speed but you have to manually reattach the drive belt after removing the table. Not a job you want to be doing all the time!

And things have moved on since I bought mine. P1 Plus now has phono stage - basically a preamp for amps with no phono input. I had to buy intervening preamp to avoid buying a new amp.

With Rega it's pretty much what your budget is and how much of a hifi junkie you are with the associated huge law of minimal returns hifi brings with it. Planar P10 is £4K+, the P1 is £345.
    This is a good review of the Evo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1JOXVvKpQ8
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Ive got a rega rp1 and a pro-ject debut (pretty much the same thing) already. The lack of speed change is definitely an issue.  I have maybe 500 7's and so don't want to keep having to remove the platter all the time.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    My recommendation?

Don't bother.

Stupid hipster fad, bandwagon jumped on by labels as money-making exercise.

Get a decent DAC and love your digital sources.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    Ive got a rega rp1 and a pro-ject debut (pretty much the same thing) already. The lack of speed change is definitely an issue.  I have maybe 500 7's and so don't want to keep having to remove the platter all the time.
    What about something like the Project speedbox? https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/speed-box-s/ ;

It adds button functionality to your existing TTs
    edited March 2021
    As above, if you already have a RP1 and a Debut, an add-on speed box will definitely solve the problem. I only bought the pro-ject TT as it isn’t as deep as the RP2 and I needed a little more room on the shelf it sits on. The fact it has a speed control totally sealed the deal. I used to hate having to change the speed manually meaning that 45s rarely got a look in.
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    My recommendation?

Don't bother.

Unless you have masses of records, I probably agree with this. We’ve never got onto the digital bandwagon but if starting from scratch I’m sure we would do exactly as you recommend. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP140XP.
    It is excellent.
    viz said:
    My recommendation?

Don't bother.

Unless you have masses of records, I probably agree with this. We’ve never got onto the digital bandwagon but if starting from scratch I’m sure we would do exactly as you recommend. 
    Well, i have about 3000 12", 500 7" and a few 10" records. 
    Hardly a hipster fad. I've been a vinyl fan for 40 years
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    I've got a nice Cyrus 3i amp that I am selling, on eBay at the minute, that would be ideal. It's got a built in MM phono stage.

Well inside your budget and £220 plus delivery. DM me if that would be of any interest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    I love vinyl, and I have a pretty decent deck, and a fantastic cartridge.  
    I recently bought a Bluesound Node 2i which i play through my Topping D90MQA DAC.  I have to say, it sounds absolutely fantastic. It even sounds pretty darn incredible through my humble Topping D30.  
    It’s got a lovely mid range, and real life to the music presentation. 
    I’ve not played any vinyl since, and I easily buy four or five albums every month. 
    I use it with Todal HD, it’s even pretty good with Apple Music. 
    If you don’t already have a great vinyl collection, then don’t bother, get the Bluesound Node 2i, a decent amp and speakers, and a nice DAC, snd that’s all you need (plus a streaming music subscription, Qobiz/Tidal being the best sounding). 
    Also, Spotify HIFi is launching soon. 

If you have records you want to play, then you can get a NAD 533 on eBay for around £100. 
    It’s the same as a RP2, just rebadged. 
    It’s a fine deck, snd if you want better, is an excellent modding platform. You can get stunning results if you invest a few hundred more into it. 
    But as is, it’s an excellent bang for your buck. 

I’m a bug fan of Tannoy speakers, even the humble Reveal passive monitor sound great (for Hifi), abs if you’re patient, you can buy them on eBay for under £50. 
    Get the passive ones, not powered. 

Amp, I like NVA, but used prices are creeping up, so you may get a better deal elsewhere. 

Turntable ore amp, Schiit Mani is stunning/incredible for £150ish

the_jaffa said:
    I've got a nice Cyrus 3i amp that I am selling, on eBay at the minute, that would be ideal. It's got a built in MM phono stage.

Well inside your budget and £220 plus delivery. DM me if that would be of any interest.
    That could well be useful. Especially as im going to have two set ups