Any one got info on CNC Machines for a hobbyist

Looking into possibly getting a cnc machine for engraving, circuit boards etc

Any one got any info on the best place to buy? 

Cheers
www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1670

Didn't Sporkey have one?

Not seen much monkey business around here for some time!

Dave.

• Thought i'd bump this, still looking to get one. Anyone got any knowledge/advice to give me would be much appreciated.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29142
    edited February 2016
    I do have a Bungard CCD/2, which I've used for 10-odd years to make PCBs, including most of monkeyFX's output. Fantastic machine and a massive step above most of the eBay junk; massively over-engineered including a Kavo spindle. It also has a proper "float" mode for isolation routing - without that you'll shatter bits and break boards.

Got it here:

http://www.megauk.com/cnc_production_centre.php

About ten grand new including the enclosure, vacuum extractor (essential for GRP/FRP work), software, a big rack of bits and half a day of training. That said it's not getting a lot of use now, so yours for four grand including the PC that runs it, some training, a set of PCB shears and all the PCB blanks and bits I have left. Which is a substantial collection.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    That's more for heavier work - for which I have a K2.

PCBs require much higher spindle speeds, a different grade of extraction, and float. I might have mentioned float already.

This is what comes off the CCD/2 with a quick cleanup with a 220-grit sanding pad.

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/bigrouter/18 pcb_cleaned.jpg
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 61
    Thanks for the info chaps. I need to do more research, thanks for the offer Sporky, but i won't have the readies for a while and probably a bit too good for me.
    No probs.

I know a few people who bought cheaper PCB mills and regret it - without float you'll snap a lot of bits, ruin a lot of PCBs and waste a lot of time.

You can save money on the bits though - I've found the low cost carbide engraving bits from eBay actually last longer than the more expensive German ones.