Ever found you have a previously undiscovered talent in something?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Trude said:
    I can do this:

...but I've never found a use for it.

500 years ago it would have got you burned at the stake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Neill said:
    Trude said:
    I can do this:

Yeah - I can do it with either hand and can also move the outer fingers up and down into that position quite fast.  I think I've only met one or two other people who can do this.  Weird.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I really believe everyone has a talent for something, it’s just finding it..but unfortunately 99 times out of a hundred that talent is rarely something cool like playing the guitar well or being athletic, it’ll be that your a great toolmaker or bus driver or really good at counting stuff :s
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Admit it. We all tried the hand thing ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    I only started building no cycle wheels about 10 years ago but discovered pretty quickly that I could build a very good wheel.

Very satisfying taking a box of parts and making them into such a strong, efficient thing
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1559
    I have never excelled at anything, and never won anything (school, college, work etc).

It occurred to me recently just how many people on here do have really good skills and knowledge - from guitar stuff to plumbing to pensions or just being downright hilarious. I am regularly in awe as well as being entertained rotten !!

But I have done well at my job (and love it to bits), and realised that good communication and relationships are the most productive tool - I have colleagues that are much smarter than me, however fail to get things done or keep people on side.

If I could claim anything it would be that I am the living definition of Imposter Syndrome !!!

So I have kind of accepted that as long as I can keep working and loafing around with Mrs001 - then I have done ok !!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited March 2021
    Not me, but when I was in 5th year at (a Scottish) school the guy who sat next to me in the English class opted to study music as one of his subjects.  The course that was open to him was a fairly low-grade "music as an interest" course, not leading to any qualifications, because although he'd taught himself some piano he had no previous musical education, had never formally learned an instrument. 

He was only a couple of weeks into this when they school said he had a natural talent and might be capable of taking an O grade despite his lack of musical background.  A short time later they offered him the chance to study for a Higher in music, which normally would take 5 years after a background in music at primary school. At the the end of the school year he won the school's prize for the outstanding student in music.  It was a large selective school with a strong music department, so it wasn't just a case of being the best of a mediocre bunch. In about 9 months at the age of 16 or 17 he came from almost scratch to being better than people who'd been taking instrumental lessons since the age of 5.

He went on to study music at University.   From speaking to people who remembered him there, he was obviously famous within the faculty as an outstandingly gifted musician.

Bizarrely, although he was a bit sniffy about popular music at school (he was only interested in classical) when I last met him he was wearing a fishtail Parka and told me he was playing in, iirc, some kind of ska or mod revival local band.  He'd got deep into leftist politics and in line with his political beliefs he thought he should be playing music ordinary working class people liked, with a leftist political slant.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Trude said:
    I can do this:

Isn't that how they do that secret masonic handshake?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited March 2021
    Evasiveness expressionless 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I have a pal and she plays keyboards. No lessons ever but she can just play anything without even thinking about it. Name a tune and off she goes. You would think that there was some kind of ASD going on but she is not. Amazing gift.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    axisus said:
    I rather like insanely good technical guitarists, the sort who just seem to have an incredible natural talent to play before they even start. I imagine that they had no idea they would be well above average before picking up a guitar.

And then there's Andrew Cassidy who found fame in 2013 with his footballing skills.

I often wonder if maybe there's something out there that I could be really good at but I have yet to try it. Knowing my luck it would be knitting.

Anyone here found anything surprising that they are good at?

Interestingly, my old house used to over look the spot thats shown in the video.  If you look, you'd prob see it in the background. He used to walk down with this tired old football and just practise and practise but most of when I looked he was just twating it around and the occasional bit of "Oh that was good!".  The local skater kids spent most of the time trying to not get a ball in the face as did happen on a few occasions. 

Funny how things work out aye?   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited March 2021
    TheMarlin said:
    Archer and shooting. 
    My previously undiscovered talent is knowing when not to correct typographical errors. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Trude said:
    Neill said:
    Trude said:
    I can do this:

Yeah - I can do it with either hand and can also move the outer fingers up and down into that position quite fast.  I think I've only met one or two other people who can do this.  Weird.
    Just tried. I can do it. A bit more difficult with the right hand but the left hand, no problem. 
  • I thought of another.

I have very small hands. People laughed at Trump having small hands, but mine are probably a bit smaller.

I don't often have trouble reaching chords on guitar though. I can comfortably play octaves on a piano, and I would more comfortably play chords on a bass than my 6 foot friend with, what look like, perfect long fingers for playing guitar and bass.

Don't get me wrong, I can't do buckethead extended chords but it makes me giggle when I see people claim they can't play that f barre shape because they have small hands. I also don't often see the open C shape as a bar chord below the 7th fret or so (although John Mayer is bringing it in) - it's a nice voicing so I use it all the time. 
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 363
    Anything endurance based, running, cycling, walking up mountains ect. I can just keep going. 
  • I can walk for many miles and then some. Useless at any other exercise but i can walk all day.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I have a recurring dream that I can levitate.  I've had it for decades.  It happens so often that sometimes I believe I actually can then of course snap out of it.

I know it's not a talent but it is in my dreams!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    edited March 2021
    Yes, but you'll have to join my OnlyFans to find out more  =)
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I’m really good at remembering alphanumeric combinations. 

Number plates / Account numbers. 

All the fun stuff. 

I wish I had a more useful talent.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    I wouldn't call it a talent per se, but I seem to be very good at practical things.

If something is broken or not working I usually have the ability to think through how it's supposed to work and use that to take it apart and mend it.

Something I get from my dad, he always said that if somebody can screw something together then there's a good chance he can take it apart, repair it and put it back together again.  Even the 'no user serviceable parts inside' clause hasn't always prevented him or me from taking things to bits and making it work again.

Unfortunately, I now have a reputation in the family and among close friends.  My niece, when she was about two, used to say whenever something was broken, "don't worry, Chris will fix it"!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.