The good things about COVID (at least in a banana country)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Tannin said:
    • Practically no colds or flu going around!
    • People have realised how much more sense it makes to work from home. Less traffic, less crowding on public transport, less time wasted commuting, more time actually working or at home with family.
    • No tourists! OK, zero is too few, we welcome visitors, but there were way too many. 
    • Rediscovery of many forgotten good things: cooking, making your own bread, growing your own vegetables. (We did all those things already, now everyone is trying it. Good!)
    • More locally made products, more self-reliance.
    • No immigration! Don't get me wrong, I like immigrants, but a quarter of a million extra people every year into this small country was insane. Schools, roads, hospitals, water supply, trains can't cope. Massive new suburbs steamrolling over agricultural land, lower living standards every year - just a little bit less bit it adds up, and significantly lower quality of life. Don't even think about the damage relentless population growth is doing to our few remaining wild places. And now it's stopped. Maybe, just maybe, it won't ever be as bad again.

Just a deadly form of flu.

As for the rest, words fail me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Tannin said:
    • Don't get me wrong, I like immigrants

How on earth could we possibly misunderstand heartfelt sincerity like that?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5432
    edited March 2021
    Bahh ... the thread is explicitly about "a banana country" and nearly every poster seems to think my post was about the UK. I have no opinion on immigration in the UK. And the people calling me a racist are utterly clueless.)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited March 2021
    Tannin said:
    Bahh ... the thread is explicitly about "a banana country" and nearly every poster seems to think my post was about the UK. I have no opinion on immigration in the UK. And the people calling me a racist are utterly clueless.)

No opinion about immigration in the UK?

Tannin said:
    • Practically no colds or flu going around!
    • People have realised how much more sense it makes to work from home. Less traffic, less crowding on public transport, less time wasted commuting, more time actually working or at home with family.
    • No tourists! OK, zero is too few, we welcome visitors, but there were way too many. 
    • Rediscovery of many forgotten good things: cooking, making your own bread, growing your own vegetables. (We did all those things already, now everyone is trying it. Good!)
    • More locally made products, more self-reliance.
    • No immigration! Don't get me wrong, I like immigrants, but a quarter of a million extra people every year into this small country was insane. Schools, roads, hospitals, water supply, trains can't cope. Massive new suburbs steamrolling over agricultural land, lower living standards every year - just a little bit less bit it adds up, and significantly lower quality of life. Don't even think about the damage relentless population growth is doing to our few remaining wild places. And now it's stopped. Maybe, just maybe, it won't ever be as bad again.

The biggest paragraph you wrote in the original reply WAS on immigration.  No opinion on immigration? 

When I asked for more specifics. You answered.

Tannin said:
    What’s immigrants got to do with Covid?. 
    Everything. With the borders closed here, there is no immigration. That is one quarter of a million fewer people than the expectation pre-Covid. Every four years, an extra million people. Fastest population growth rate of any developed country. It is unsustainable. 
    Everything???? This reads like no opinion to anyone? Anyone?

No opinion?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    I think he's not referring to the UK in those points - UK borders are not closed, I don't think the UK are building massive new suburbs either really. His profile seems to suggest he's in Australia, who in my perception, are just about the only country other than America who are as obsessed with the danger of immigrants as the UK are...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Tannin said:

You’re Australian? Fed up with immigration? 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I think he's not referring to the UK in those points - UK borders are not closed, I don't think the UK are building massive new suburbs either really. His profile seems to suggest he's in Australia, who in my perception, are just about the only country other than America who are as obsessed with the danger of immigrants as the UK are...

Is what I took from it too, so I assume he is of aboriginal descent or else his post is massively hypocritical to the point of comedy.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    This is going extremely well. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912

Can't be.

If he was an Aussie, he'd have prefaced it with 'Awww look, mate..."

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Fkg immigrants coming over here, running our NHS and saving our lives....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I can understand Tannin's concerns about immigrants.
    The last bunch of immigrants to Tasmania did their absolute best to wipe out the indigenous population.
    The one's that weren't violently massacred were exposed to fatal diseases carried by those same immigrants.
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    edited March 2021
    Tannin said:
    the people calling me a racist

You make some excellent points in all things guitar related so frankly, i couldn't give a damn if you are or not
    Long as we can have a conversation without it going FUBAR, i'm up for anything ^^

Now on a more general note, as per OP, if we could keep this to all things COVID, crazed, ludicrous or otherwise, i'd appreciate it.

.. does Roland dream of electric ban hammers?..
    .. don't answer that.