Fretboard removal

Today I'm embarking on my first rosewood fretboard removal to replace a snapped truss rod.
The neck has a poly glitter finish which I'm desperate to retain as much as possible

I've taken it upon myself to score along where I think the board meets the maple so when it comes to steaming it off there'll be as little damage to the finish as possible. 

I'm hoping to pull from the hive collective here on wether to remove the frets before taking the board off or after, the rosewood does look fairly thin especially for a Westone.
Does keeping the frets in hinder or enhance structural integrity? 

thanks for the space and time. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8869
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17027
    I have done it both ways, with and without frets.  I'm not convinced it makes much difference... the frets help heat transfer if using an iron, but I would still plan of refretting

Just make sure you score and score again on that finish. 

The most important bit if planning to reuse the board is to clamp it flat once its off... it will want to curl up

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7145
    tFB Trader
    I'd keep the frets in, they'll help conduct the heat to the glue join.

Also you might be able to put it back and keep the original frets, saving the work of re-fretting it as they look to have plenty of height?
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    WezV said:
    I have done it both ways, with and without frets.  I'm not convinced it makes much difference... the frets help heat transfer if using an iron, but I would still plan of refretting

Just make sure you score and score again on that finish. 

The most important bit if planning to reuse the board is to clamp it flat once its off... it will want to curl up

Thanks.
    Frets in makes sense, I've seen the use of a steel rule between iron and frets before for "better heat distribution" but that's possibly overkill as I'll be going as slowly as possible.

I've scored through to wood all way round but I'm not 100% sure I've hit the join, definitely at the head end where I can see rosewood meeting maple.

I have a set of clamps and a flat surface ready for the board. 
    I'd keep the frets in, they'll help conduct the heat to the glue join.

Also you might be able to put it back and keep the original frets, saving the work of re-fretting it as they look to have plenty of height?
    There is plenty height but they're skinny and I've already decided to replace with jumbos :) 

here goes nothing! 

came off really clean and not a single fouling of the neck finish, phew.

same again with the fillet strips? 

I really was hoping i could replace the single action rod with a dual action but don't think it will be possible with the contoured channel, am I wrong? 
    tFB Trader
    How deep is the channel at its deepest point? Could you re-rout it flat to the height of a double-action rod?

And how wide?

How deep is the channel at its deepest point? Could you re-rout it flat to the height of a double-action rod?

And how wide?

13.7mm at the deepest.
    the neck is 17mm at that point, minus fretboard obviously. 

I don't own a router 

looking at a northwest guitars dual action rod which is 9mm deep and 7mm width it certainly looks possible.
    I'd need to find someone to do the rout for me though, wouldn't want to practice on this  :o
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Very cool and successful surgery :) 
    Jazzthat said:
    Very cool and successful surgery :) 
    thanks! 
    Trying to work out if I should replace like for like or try a dual action rod. 
    A couple of concerns:
    I couldn't fully straighten the neck with the old rod, it wasn't far off but not quite enough for my liking. Will I encounter the same problem with like for like? 

Was the problem that the rod was starting to rust and was stuck fast in the channel, should a single rod have any movement in there? 

• WezVWezV Frets: 17027
    It's hard to say really.   Can you repair the old rod and put it back, where was it broken.

At this point i would be considering filling the channel to reroute for my chosen 2 way rod.  But obviously yahts the trickier way forward
    WezV said:
    It's hard to say really.   Can you repair the old rod and put it back, where was it broken.

At this point i would be considering filling the channel to reroute for my chosen 2 way rod.  But obviously yahts the trickier way forward
    it broke off flush at the bullet nut.
    I guess I could shift the anchor up a bit and tweak the bend in the rod but unsure how much thread I'd need for a new nut.

it is quite a slim neck and I don't know if a dual would fit at the headstock end 
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    I guess I could shift the anchor up a bit and tweak the bend in the rod but unsure how much thread I'd need for a new nut.
    I've done that in the past. 20mm should be plenty I'd have thought.
    Sarge said:
    I've done that in the past. 20mm should be plenty I'd have thought.
    thanks Steve