Weekend Effs & Jeffs : happy ending

What's Hot
english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5230
edited April 2021 in Making & Modding
I ordered some bits from @sixstringsupplies to make a wiring harness for my Epi Sheraton, including a CTS push-pull pot to make the middle position out of phase. 

Guess what? It doesn't fit through the F-hole.

Is there a secret party game solution, or should I think of something else to do with the pot?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14844
    Is it the recent version with a PCB for the DPDT switch soldering terminals and a lumpy black plastic housing for its mechanical contacts?

That should pass down, into the bridge pickup cavity, then across, into the hollow beyond the centre block.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    Hi @english_bob yes the black CTS push pulls won’t fit through f-holes.

We don’t explicitly explain this but do include the product drawing with dimensions on the product page for clarity for those that need to check.

You are of course more than welcome to return it if you don’t find a use for it - there is a shortage of them in the market at the moment due to severe factory delays so more than happy to take it back  :)
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5230
    Thanks @sixstringsupplies - absolutely can't fault you in this, totally my fault for not checking, although it's easier to do that with the part in your hand since there's a million ways to get it through the hole.

I'll try @Funkfingers idea before I decide what to do with it, but I have another 2HB guitar it might work in if I really can't get it in the Sheri.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    @english_bob no worries and good luck with it!
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    a wiring harness for my Epi Sheraton, including a CTS push-pull pot to make the middle position out of phase. 
    All stop!

What pickups are currently in the Sheraton? Older examples had covered humbuckers with single conductor + shield output cable. This format is unsuitable for electrical phase reversal switching. 

Phase switching requires at least 2-con + shield cable and it needs to be connected the right way inside the cover.

Output cable format conversion is possible but fiddly. It is far easier to start with a humbucker that already uses 4-con + shield output cable.
    @Funkfingers ;I replaced the horrible waxbuckers with some Vanson Alnico II 4 conductor humbuckers a while ago. They're currently wired out of phase so I know it can be done, it just isn't currently switchable.

I don't think the channel between the pickup cavity and the controls is big enough to allow the pots through, but I'll need to take the strings off to really see, and I haven't had chance yet.

I don't think the channel between the pickup cavity and the controls is big enough to allow the pots through.
    Probably my mistake. 

The last three ES Thinline type guitars that I have looked into were an Epi Lucille, a Hamer XT Echotone and my brother's late Eighties Sheraton II. The first has a control cavity cover plate for its Vari-Tone PCB. The second has a generous aperture in the side of the pickup cavity. Of the third, I have no clear recollection.
    Right then. @Funkfingers plan isn't going to work- there's only about 1cm x 1.5cm space for the pickup leads and I don't fancy trying to enlarge the hole myself, so I won't be able to use the pot in the Sheraton as planned.

Plan B was to open up my PRS Starla X to see if I could use it in there, but the pickups are single conductor with braided shielding so I don't think I can flip the phase on those (or do anything else interesting with a pull pot) and a pickup swap just to make use of a £10 pot seems like the very definition of throwing good money after bad.

Looks like I'll have to have a word with six string supplies about sending it back.

So Ed from @sixstringsupplies was kind enough to trade my push-pull pot for a regular one that I could actually fit in my guitar. After pulling out the old wiring harness I went through the incredible stress of enlarging the pot holes with a drill to fit the new CTS pots. Stiff drinks required.
    Next it was off to YouTube to watch Ed's tutorial on how to wire the new harness. 

Took a break last night then came back this morning to get the new harness into the guitar. Less swearing involved than anticipated, and now my much- modified Sheraton is up and running again. There does seem to be a small improvement in clarity with the new wiring, which may or may not be down to a psychological "I could have fucked this up a million ways but I didn't" factor :grin: 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom