Money Stolen from my Account

What's Hot
So, this morning I received a Text and a Voicemail from Nationwide saying that there had been fraudulent activity on my account.

I rang the regular number I have, just in case the number that called me was a scam.

Turns out it was true. A staggering £3950 ish had been taken from my account. Not only that, but the thief/thieves had ordered a new Card and racked up £950 on that. It's all been blocked now and I have to wait for a new Card on Friday.

I was amazed that whoever ordered a new card could actually spend on it before it even gets sent out. This is down to the wonders of Apple Pay or Google Pay according to the Building Society. I'd never heard of it. Paypal is as far as my knowledge stretches.

What's worse is that the first guy I spoke to, from the Regular side of the Building Society told me it would be refunded within 24 hours. I rang them back later to ask more questions and this time they put me through to the Fraud Team at my request.

The woman here says that there has to be an investigation first and that she personally cannot say I will definitely get refunded. I assume this investigation is standard procedure?

WHooooooa, I say, WHooooooaaaa! I've done fuck all wrong here. I only pay out to reputable companies with this card. I do use cash machines as well.

I certainly don't spend any money doing Online Gambling, which is apparently what most of the money got spent on, according to Nationwide.

I've got to say I am taking a leap of faith and expecting to get it all back as I cannot even contemplate being robbed and blamed/punished for it. It's an uncomfortable wait though.

I take it I'm not the only one on here this has happened to?
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    She probably just said it to cover their own backs, can't imagine any scenario in which you wouldn't be refunded. If you had fallen victim to a scam call and willingly gave your details to somebody then it might've been different. But in this case it's unlikely. As stressful as it is try not to worry too much about it until they've done their investigation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a piss take if they don't reimburse you.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sofastevesofasteve Frets: 39
    edited March 2021
    What she has said is correct. They can't make a decision or comment until their investigation is complete. Similar thing happened to a colleague of mine and he was credited all stolen funds back into his account so  I'd say there is no need to worry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    I didn't sound like it was a problem, she'll probably be bound by the rules of her job that she cannot be the one to actually say it. Red Tape etc.

I never give out my details to anyone, only ever pay on secure sites. Places that we all know: Tesco, Costa, Asda, Dirty Barry's Dildo Emporium, places like that  =) ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409

I never give out my details to anyone, only ever pay on secure sites. Places that we all know: Tesco, Costa, Asda, Dirty Barry's Dildo Emporium, places like that  =) ;)
    Out of the bunch listed, they would be the ones to likely shaft you ;) Joking aside, I hope you get your money back soon. A similar thing happened to me many moons ago, and I felt violated. Not a nice thing to go through at all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    You will be refunded
    You havn't given any roofers a deposit have you ?????????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    You will be refunded
    You havn't given any roofers a deposit have you ?????????
    No x 100000000000000000

;)

I thought you might think of that  B)  
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757
    Whoa, scary shit that. Hope it doesn't prey on your mind too much until it gets sorted out.
    Did anyone suggest how this fraud might have been carried out?
    Whoa, scary shit that. Hope it doesn't prey on your mind too much until it gets sorted out.
    Did anyone suggest how this fraud might have been carried out?
    Cheers. I don't know, but that had to have the CVV number on the back of the card, plus enough details to apply for a new card.

There is only 1 transaction that stands out as odd, it's a genuine transaction and it was Enterprise Car Hire, but the circumstances were odd and if it is them, then it's a dodgy employee scenario.

I'll tell more tomorrow, I'm exhausted with it today.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3157
    tFB Trader
    This is why my debit card is locked and I do ALL of my spending on a credit card

Frank Abagnale explains it best...

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Yes its worrying whats going on..

My mum somehow had her Visa debit card cloned or somehow someone ordered a new one for her account and got it delivered to a different address even though she has never even activated that card and its never left the house or been used for anything..

Someone was actually able to walk in to a bank and take out £2000...

We got the money back but no one at the bank (and we spoke to many people) could tell us exactly how it was done... They are getting more and more sneaky with this shit.

All I have been told about this from other people is it may be people working in the bank giving out details for cash...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Don't worry. I'm feeling flush as I've just found out that an uncle of mine in Nigeria has died and left me all his cash, so I'll refund you myself!

Quite relieved, to be honest. I need the money after that HMRC Court case I got called about yesterday...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:

My mum somehow had her Visa debit card cloned or somehow someone ordered a new one for her account and got it delivered to a different address even though she has never even activated that card and its never left the house or been used for anything..

We got the money back but no one at the bank (and we spoke to many people) could tell us exactly how it was done... They are getting more and more sneaky with this shit.

All I have been told about this from other people is it may be people working in the bank giving out details for cash...
    Wow, now that is worrying.

:p 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    This is why my debit card is locked and I do ALL of my spending on a credit card

Frank Abagnale explains it best...

I was about to share that - it is good advice.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Wow, now that is worrying.

p 
    Yes it is, because in this case as I said that card had literally never been used... Sat in a draw never activated and mum only uses her credit card.

We dont do online or phone banking (my dad refused to do that stuff) there is literally no way someone could have got those card details.

Which means either someone was able to order a new card or clone a non existent card or someone at the bank gave out her details or the bank was hacked... As far as I know there is no other way it could have been done and any one of those other explanations is very worrying (RBS/Natwest). And no one else could tell us what had happened.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    I had money stolen from my account from a person in Brazil!  It was an account I didn't really use any more, an old private one from years past. It was only about £50 but then it went overdrawn, so I got a statement through the post to tell me what the charges were for the overdrawn facility, otherwise I would never had known.

Anyway, I contacted the bank, they said there would be an investigation and all got resolved within a few weeks.

However, I was told that the crime is against the bank, not against me.  They stole money from the bank in the same way as if they'd gone to the branch and held them up with a shotgun.  Ultimately there's nothing in your contract with the bank that says you breach the contract if you go on particular websites, there might be advice, but it's not a breach.  If banks started doing that then people would withdraw and put it under their mattresses!

So, I can't see how you will have any problem getting the money back, the only issue being how long the investigation might take, because obviously there is a legal procedure to follow and guess the bank will need to claim on their insurance before paying you out. 

• BodBod Frets: 1300
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bod said:
    Ahaha! Brilliant. That is getting played in Court if Nationwide piss me about.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    How do you surmise the fraudsters got your details, or did they just get lucky?

If it doesn't work out, Get yourself a Nokia 105, go to your local branch and take them all captive with ammonium nitrate scaffold pole incendiary devices planted in the bins around the perimeter with electronic firing circuits...make sure you wear a mask though otherwise you might get arrested.

You can say that sort of thing here....freedom!  :#
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:
    How do you surmise the fraudsters got your details, or did they just get lucky?

If it doesn't work out, Get yourself a Nokia 105, go to your local branch and take them all captive with ammonium nitrate scaffold pole incendiary devices planted in the bins around the perimeter with electronic firing circuits...make sure you wear a mask though otherwise you might get arrested.

You can say that sort of thing here....freedom!  :#
    Don't know, but I'll take the violent retribution stance any day!