Fell into a boat last week...

What's Hot
Had a bad fall at work on Wednesday. Stepping off a lighthouse into the tender, it was pretty rough and as I grabbed the handrail, the boat suddenly dropped. I fell forward, twisted and landed on my back. The boat was on its way back up when I landed so I hit the deck pretty hard after falling about a metre. 
Tbh, it could’ve been a hell of a lot worse - got pretty freaked out when I thought what could’ve happened if I missed the boat. 

Anyway, apart from generally feeling bashed up,  my shoulders and neck have been feeling really stiff and painful, especially at the base of my neck - it feels like someone’s jamming a rod into  my spine. This has come on since Friday night and I’m wondering if it could be a bit of whiplash?
Gonna try and book an appointment with a nurse on Monday if it hasn’t improved. 

Otherwise, I’m self medicating with ibuprofen and rum but was wondering if there are any exercises or stretches I can do to help? 
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Have you tried getting some relief with a hot water bottle? I find it remarkably effective when even powerful painkillers will not work. Hope you are feeling better soon, it sounds as if you had a narrow escape from potentially much worse injury.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had to ask the wife as I had no idea if we even had a hot water bottle lol. Giving it a go now, cheers. 
    Yeah, if the boat had gone down and out instead of straight down I’d have got wet, then probably crushed as the boat came back which didn’t occur to me til later. Had a bit of a moment after that! 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Naproxen and try and keep moving.  If it was really bad it might be worth a referral for an MRI if you are that worried.  Similar thing happened to a friends son.  Actually it wasn't similar at all, he was playing football.  Anyway, after months of neck traction, turns out he had actually initially broken his neck and the traction just kept rebreaking the fracture, which probably accounted fr the perpetual screaming in agony every time it was applied.  At least an X Ray or something.  Take you seriously if it's a sudden injury.  Much harder to get anywhere if it's in a year's time, I mean, if you're honest.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    >Similar thing happened to a friends son.  Actually it wasn't similar at all, he was playing football.

I've missed you :lol: 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    ^  It's not the same guy................if it was there would have been a totally random video posted with the comment .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ouch - whatever you are taking, add more rum to it.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    I had a nasty fall on bicycle about a year ago. After about a month of pain on shoulder I finally went into local small injury AE unit. They ended up doing an X-ray and visual assessment of mobility limitations. I was given some very useful rehab exercises and they indicated that if I needed further help I could book in physio at the hospital. That ultimately was not necessary. I wish I had gone sooner as it seriously affected my sleep for the first month. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    Get yourself into A&E for an X-ray as soon as you can. Do it today if possible. 
  • Gonna get myself looked at tomorrow. Lower back is hurting as well today. 
    Just to add to matters, I’ve been seeing a physio for pain in my arm and shoulder that I’ve been suffering with for nearly a year. A mix of shoulder impingement and tennis elbow. If I was horse I’d be sausage meat by now lol. 
  • Sat in A&E now. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Have you been seen yet ?  I know it's only 9 hours later, but sometimes you can get lucky.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Have you been seen yet ?  I know it's only 9 hours later, but sometimes you can get lucky.
    Was seen pretty quickly. Then they put me on a trolley and strapped my head down between blocks before wheeling to a different bay to wait for X-rays. I’m claustrophobic so that freaked me out a bit. Luckily it was only an hour before they x-rayed me - no breaks or fractures, just a sprain.  
    Sent me home with co-codamol and told to rest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Emp_Fab said:
    Was seen pretty quickly. Then they put me on a trolley and strapped my head down between blocks before wheeling to a different bay to wait for X-rays. I’m claustrophobic so that freaked me out a bit. Luckily it was only an hour before they x-rayed me - no breaks or fractures, just a sprain.  
    Get well soo mate. Did they give you any rehab exercises as well?
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Get well soo mate. Did they give you any rehab exercises as well?
    Cheers. No they didn’t but I’m seeing a physio regularly for my arm so I’ll ask her about it. 
  • Ouch. Glad it wasn't serious.

Sore shoulders are a bastard.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.