Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @HCDavies - great to have you on board -- have updated the list of attendees in the first post accordingly.

Regarding suggested tracks, we encourage everyone who is attending to nominate a couple of tracks, following which those with an interest in playing a particular track in the "house band" put their virtual hands up (it would be nice for someone to get the debate started on tracks suggested so far!).

Where we have all the band roles covered for a track, it is added to the set list (a track may be performed more than once if there is high demand, to enable everyone who wants to play on it to have the opportunity to do so). It follows that nominated tracks which do not attract volunteers for all band roles tend to get dropped. 

It is definitely not necessary for you to choose between playing guitar, bass or any other instrument. Even if you did decide to leave your bass or guitar at home, you would probably find someone willing to lend you an instrument. 

As @Funkfingers has mentioned, we try and limit time lost due to switching out amps, pedals, etc, so tend to set up the main room on a plug in and play basis. To enable that to happen we do need some attendees to bring amps that they are happy to designate for this purpose.

These events usually kick off around 10:30 or 11am and conclude at 5 or 6pm. Attendees tend to be a combination of members who are reasonably local and others who are traveling from further afield, some times from quite a distance.

In addition to the "live" room, we usually book at least one rehearsal room, so it is possible to get quite a bit of playing in. Hope this helps...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Brocco said:
    These events usually kick off around 10:30 or 11am and conclude at 5 or 6pm.
    It might help to have a rough idea of the earliest loading in and latest loading out times.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers undoubtedly - we will have a clearer idea of these things once we have an agreed date and know what other bookings the venue have around us
    @spark240 - any update on your posse?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2021
    @Brocco I vaguely recall having to hire mics etc last time. 

Dates depending, I can bring 3 x SM58s, 2 SM57s and a 609 for guitar cabs, drum mics, and my XR18 / Laptop combo for recording purposes if required. 

In the current climate, for my sessions I'm using little mic condoms that get binned when the singers change, and have a huge supply of those. 

I don't intend to bring my Vdrums this time, although I can bring some cheapish breakables for drums in the practice room. 

I'm also happy to bring my Ampeg so bass is covered. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    I can bring a few mics and stands if needed (609 and a sm57) and a boss tube amp expander (attenuators, IR sim) to DI from an amp into PA.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I’ll have my Kemper and DxR 12 , @Brocco i think nick and bernie will be up for it subject to final date 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @Legionreturns@mrkb - thank you!

We definitely hired a drum kit for the live room last time. This reminds me to check in with @octatonic  who was down to drum at the event we were planning for last year - can we tempt you again this time?

@spark240 - cheers, will add Bernie and Nick to the list (please can you ask them to confirm their suggested tracks)
    Brocco said:
    @Legionreturns@mrkb - thank you!

We definitely hired a drum kit for the live room last time. This reminds me to check in with @octatonic  who was down to drum at the event we were planning for last year - can we tempt you again this time?

@spark240 - cheers, will add Bernie and Nick to the list (please can you ask them to confirm their suggested tracks)
    Both Mark and I have decent acoustic kits, although, in fairness, I'd not bring mine for free as it's owned by and for the business, and it's a bloody long way to bring it! 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I might be available depends on the date,
    Has that been decided?
    When we got started there was still quite a bit of uncertainty over covid restrictions, so we started to collect expressions of intetest for a jam at some point in September or October.

As we now have enough members interested to make the event viable, this is probably a good time to collect dates which do not work, with the aim of booking the venue for the first date that works for all.

So please can everyone confirm the dates (Saturdays & Sundays) in September and October when they are not available, and we can take it from there..
    I get my work shifts about 6 weeks in advance, so as long as I have enough notice, and I've not got any sound desk bookings, I should be good. 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I can do any dates in September and October at the moment.

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    spark240 said:
    I’ll have my Kemper and DxR 12 , @Brocco i think nick and bernie will be up for it subject to final date 
    Kemper sounded great on the multitrack last time
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Only weekend I can’t do from those is September 18th , 19th.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Weekend of 30/31 October is out for me but otherwise fine
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Sept/Oct are potentially fine but it depends on the precise date.
    I might be away, but probably not.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4520
    Other than 11/12  September, I (and @onlyonebradders ) have nothing planned atm.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    Do we need to suggest a date then - October some time?
    @nickp - at the moment we are hoping by some miracle that there is one Sat or Sun in Sept or Oct which we can all make (a long shot of course, but worth a try), so at this point are requesting WE dates in Sept & Oct when members are unavailable
This discussion has been closed.