Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• Singing and playing at the same time is a no-no, I'm afraid.

Just a point about 'classic tracks', though - @onlyonebradders has learnt a bunch of new songs already, and throwing more at him at this stage might be getting a bit much.  Plus, drumming all day, he'll need a break or three!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brocco said:
    to complete the band for Rock of Ages we need vocals, bass and rhythm. For Under The Bridge we need Bass and possibly guitar, depending on whether @Jonathangus will play guitar as well as sing? 
    I know that really well apart from the intro, will only need a bit of brushing up if you want to do it?
  • Brocco said:
    to complete the band for Rock of Ages we need vocals, bass and rhythm. For Under The Bridge we need Bass and possibly guitar, depending on whether @Jonathangus will play guitar as well as sing? 
    I know that really well apart from the intro, will only need a bit of brushing up if you want to do it?
    Under the Bridge that is…
  • Yeah, happy to have a crack at the vox on UtB.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Cool sign me up for bass on UtB. Anything by Flea has got to be simple, right?
  • Better consult @onlyonebradders about the drum part on Under The Bridge.

The bass guitar doesn't come in for quite a while. Then, the rhythm section goes through some tricky changes. Good luck with running that down on the day.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Please could you all check the updated setlist in the first post and let me know of any inaccuracies or concerns
  • Are we still doing Talk Dirty to Me?  Thought we'd dropped that one (not least because it was mrkb's choice, and he's no longer coming).

And I can probably fill a lead slot on H2H if needed.  (I mean, I bollocksed it up royally when we attempted it live the other week, but hey...)

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited September 2021
    Are we still doing Talk Dirty to Me?  Thought we'd dropped that one (not least because it was mrkb's choice, and he's no longer coming).

And I can probably fill a lead slot on H2H if needed.  (I mean, I bollocksed it up royally when we attempted it live the other week, but hey...)

Yes I thought that Talk Dirty was dropped. Also, I thought "Since You've Been Gone" was dropped as well.

It would be great if you could play a lead slot on H2H. It seems a bit greedy that I'm the only one down for that one. I think the same applies to "Keep Your Hands To Yourself". If anyone else wants to play a lead slot as well as me, I can play rhythm or stand aside.

There's currently nobody down to play bass on the following. If the 'proper' bass players aren't interested, as a fall back, I could do it? I'll stand aside if a real bass player is up for any of them.

Cold Hard Bitch
    Richard III
    Lil' Devil
    You Really Got Me
    Johnny B. Goode 

Just to note that I believe @bobblehat wanted to do Lil' Devil a semitone down.

I don't mind the key of "You Really Got Me" but I think @Vibetronic wanted to do a Van Halen type version which might work best in A. Van Halen tune down a half step, so it sounds like it's in Ab.

It's not a competition.
  • thanks @Jonathangus - have added you as lead for the 3rd run-through of H2H

Regarding Talk Dirty and Since You've been gone, thought it worth adding back one final time just in case @roberty fancies  contributing on vocals, but will otherwise remove again, and will do so regardless if @onlyonebradders has the slightest concern, as he already has so much to cover

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    I’ll do bass on you really got me ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • top man @spark240
  • "Just to note that I believe @bobblehat wanted to do Lil' Devil a semitone down."

I might want to do everything a semitone down!  , I haven't sung anything properly for 18 months so we'll see how it goes 
    :# 
  • Brocco said:
    roberty said:
    So I am happy to sing Johnny B Goode and You Really Got Me. Another rock'n'roll song I know well is Maybelline. I would quite like to give the vocals on Richard III a go if you aren't dead set on it @nickos236 

From the other list above I like the look of Bohemian Like You and Ain't No Sunshine. Happy to participate on those in any combination of guitar/bass/vocals
    @onlyonebradders - checking if Johnny, YRGM, Bohemian Like Me and Ain't No Sunshine are okay with you?
    Ok with JBG and YRGM. I’ve been learning the VH version as I had it on the iPhone already… other two I don’t know yet, so will need to give them a listen and revert…
    Brocco said:
    roberty said:
    So I am happy to sing Johnny B Goode and You Really Got Me. Another rock'n'roll song I know well is Maybelline. I would quite like to give the vocals on Richard III a go if you aren't dead set on it @nickos236 

From the other list above I like the look of Bohemian Like You and Ain't No Sunshine. Happy to participate on those in any combination of guitar/bass/vocals
    @onlyonebradders - checking if Johnny, YRGM, Bohemian Like Me and Ain't No Sunshine are okay with you?
    Ok with JBG and YRGM. I’ve been learning the VH version as I had it on the iPhone already… other two I don’t know yet, so will need to give them a listen and revert…
    I think we can just turn those tuning things on the end of the guitar...;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited September 2021
    bobblehat said:
    "Just to note that I believe @bobblehat wanted to do Lil' Devil a semitone down."

I might want to do everything a semitone down!  , I haven't sung anything properly for 18 months so we'll see how it goes   

My floating vib. guitar isn't a happy bunny if I tune down. Some use of the originals use open strings, but I've found work arounds with all of the songs you're singing for a semitone down without having to tune down. So it wouldn't be an issue either way to me. Or maybe I'll bring my fixed bridge Tele as well, just in case.

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited September 2021
    bobblehat said:
    "Just to note that I believe @bobblehat wanted to do Lil' Devil a semitone down."

My floating vib. guitar isn't a happy bunny if I tune down. Some use open strings, but I've found work arounds with all of the songs you're singing for a semitone down without having to tune down. So it wouldn't be an issue either way to me. Or maybe I'll bring my fixed bridge Tele as well, just in case.

I think @spark240 has a half step mode on his digital amp?

edit: or happy to loan out a guitar
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I can probably manage the bass of Lil devil, so maybe me and @stratman3142 can do one turn each if we're playing it twice.
    roberty said:
    bobblehat said:

My floating vib. guitar isn't a happy bunny if I tune down. Some use open strings, but I've found work arounds with all of the songs you're singing for a semitone down without having to tune down. So it wouldn't be an issue either way to me. Or maybe I'll bring my fixed bridge Tele as well, just in case.

I think @spark240 has a half step mode on his digital amp?

edit: or happy to loan out a guitar
    Indeed…I can step down a key with the Kemper ….I’ll bring a couple of guitars anyway, so happy to tune one down,

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mart said:
    I can probably manage the bass of Lil devil, so maybe me and @stratman3142 can do one turn each if we're playing it twice.
    many thanks, have updated the list accordingly
This discussion has been closed.