Recording via my live pedalboard into mixing desk - what do I need?

What's Hot
StratNutStratNut Frets: 48
edited April 2021 in Studio & Recording
I'd like to record my guitar by playing it through my live  rig pedalboard.    I just can't be doing with the latency of guitar modelling software any more.   I  have a recording setup comprising a  Tascam 16 track analogue desk going into Cakewalk.    I do have a Radial DI box, but I'm thinking  I may need  a different box that has speaker emulation for example?   Does anyone record guitar like this and have any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 828
    I use a splitter before my board. 
    A is a DI signal pre-board, and B is signal through board with FX added.
    I have to mute or drop faders on certain tracks, at least latency is as low as my interface will allow, and I will be tracking along to a bounced audio of the backing, and the sound of my board.
    At the same time I am recording a DI, which allows later use of any amp sims etc, without having to rely on them for my sound.
    If I didn't want to record my pedal board signal, I could be monitoring it through an amp, and just be capturing a DI, which would avoid as much latency as possible.
    Your own results will depend entirely on your hardware, but my own is pretty much entry level and I can get decent recordings this way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    You can use the Radial and add speaker emulation in your DAW afterwards, if you don't want to have to buy more stuff. 

The main thing you'll hear without the can sim is a lot more top end as guitar speakers generally roll off pretty quick once you hit the high mids. 
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Does your board have any multifx in there? If so, you could put that at the end of your chain and use its in built cab sim.

As others have said, going directly in will give you quite a shite tone without some sort of amp/cab sim in there
  • StratNutStratNut Frets: 48
    Thanks.
    I stumbled across this box yesterday, analogue and looks like it will do the job.  I'll research it more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzttocvheY&t=1s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom