Radio mic 515-558 - is this legal UK ?

JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 355
 I’m currently transitioning from guitar only to lead vocals with a band n keen to go wireless inc  inears and mic - have been offered shure 58 wireless setup but unsure about frequency - status re ofcom etc - really appreciate advice.

cheers   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2574
    JMP220478 said:
     I’m currently transitioning from guitar only to lead vocals with a band n keen to go wireless inc  inears and mic - have been offered shure 58 wireless setup but unsure about frequency - status re ofcom etc - really appreciate advice.

cheers   

That's outside of the usual channel 38 or 70 so you would need some kind of license to be legal.    

What system is it?    Personally if I was looking for a shure wireless mic only the newish slxd (or qlxd) systems would be of interest.  
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 355
    Guy who is selling says theyre channel A ..

Is this still a thing or is it redundant kit ? 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 1815
    edited April 11
    Licence free band in the uk is 863-865 MHz channel 69, anything else is either illegal or requires a licence unless your on digital 2.5 ghz 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Licence free band in the uk is 863-865 MHz channel 69, anything else is either illegal or requires a licence unless your on digital 2.5 ghz 
     Cheers @maltingsaudio ;

Just for clarity .. and cos Im struggling to get head round regs 

ive heard channel 38 and 70 mentioned on other threads and now 69 .. and have seen digital devices using 2.4 and 5.8ghz 

what are the uk bandwidths irrespective of licence - as buying kit even new seems to have multiple options n I just want to invest wisely n have futureproofed kit 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2574
    If you are set on a Shure mic then you will see a lot of the older slx and blx analogue systems for sale used with a variety of freq bands.  

Then you have glxd digital systems that use the 2.4 wifi band - if you scan for a new channel before a gig they work great but I found the range limit around 25m and have had to scan for a clear channel when the room had filled up for big gigs (500+)

The more recent qlxd and slxd digital systems on a range of frequencies.  I wouldn’t spend the extra for qlxd for a single mic.   

I have a couple of sennheiser 945 mics on their g3 systems that have never let me down and but I’m planning to add a couple of channels of Shure slxd systems this summer with beta58 as well and hopefully that will be an end to chasing reliable good sounding wireless.   

@maltingsaudio just out of interest,what wireless have you got for clients that require it? 
    edited April 11
    @John_P I have 4 channels Sennheiser G3, but for bigger shows and ears I tend to hire in with the licence and Bill the clients. At about a grand per channel it’s the most cost effective option
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    John_P said:
    If you are set on a Shure mic then you will see a lot of the older slx and blx analogue systems for sale used with a variety of freq bands.  

Then you have glxd digital systems that use the 2.4 wifi band - if you scan for a new channel before a gig they work great but I found the range limit around 25m and have had to scan for a clear channel when the room had filled up for big gigs (500+)

The more recent qlxd and slxd digital systems on a range of frequencies.  I wouldn’t spend the extra for qlxd for a single mic.   

I have a couple of sennheiser 945 mics on their g3 systems that have never let me down and but I’m planning to add a couple of channels of Shure slxd systems this summer with beta58 as well and hopefully that will be an end to chasing reliable good sounding wireless.   

@maltingsaudio just out of interest,what wireless have you got for clients that require it? 
    @John_P ;  @maltingsaudio ;

Ive been offered an older Shure SLX system  - slx2 with a SM58 capsule and an SLX 4 receiver - are the non digital / analog  units any good ? 

Yes assuming it’s on or can be tuned to legal channels 863-865mhz
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited April 28
    @maltingsaudio ;
    Its on channel 30 606-648 - Other than the license challenge is this still okay with analog technology?

If so what would be a reasonable guideline price?
    JMP220478 said:
    @maltingsaudio ;
    Its on channel 30 606-648 - Other than the license challenge is this still okay with analog technology?

If so what would be a reasonable guideline price?
    No it’s illegal sorry, the bloke could probably sell it to someone in a country where it’s legal and it would most likely give good service but in the uk it’s a paperweight
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited April 28
    @maltingsaudio - Im confused mate - my brand new G4 IEM system is on exactly same bandwidth sold from Studiocare

and ofcom shared ch38

if ch38 is ok if licenced ..

then based on your experience what would a s/h slx2 with a SM58 capsule and an SLX 4 receiver setup be worth ?

JMP220478 said:
    @maltingsaudio - Im confused mate - my brand new G4 IEM system is on exactly same bandwidth sold from Studiocare

and ofcom shared ch38

if ch38 is ok if licenced ..

then based on your experience what would a s/h slx2 with a SM58 capsule and an SLX 4 receiver setup be worth ?

Oops sorry my bad your info correct, so I would be looking to pay up to £200 for that set up
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited April 28
    No probs - my heart rate can drop now - phew! 

Many thanks again your advice really appreciated – Wireless mic and IEM novice here