If I went back to 1979 what low cost gear could I buy to emulate a les Paul into a Marshall?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    I've still got the Hamer and the Sessionette, although neither is in working order!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    My recollections of buying gear in the 70’s was something like going into the music store and asking the bloke behind the counter how so and so got that sound. He would plug a guitar into a pedal then an amp, play it perfectly then sell me the pedal for all of my pocket money.
    It's no different now. Except bloke behind the counter = YouTube and you have to wait for the DPD man to bring your pedal to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Most copies were poor in 1979 imho...

The real issue would have been to vote Thatcher out, before she rent the whole country asunder with her ways.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    1979? Ibanez Artist into a Park 50w 2x12 MV. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Well at the end of 1981 I was gigging with a '63 Strat (£170), a Marshall 50w Superlead with matching 8x10 cabinet (£150) and an Ibanez TS-808 (£16.50). Into 1982 I added Marshall Superlead and Superbass 100w half stacks for around the same money again as people were ditching them in favour of Korg Poly 6s and floppy fringes. So I'm slightly between your dates and your budgets, but it gives you an idea.

Basically it was top class gear which sounded fantastic, while my contemporaries were playing brand new Westones or Hondos through Alligator tranny amps for about the same money. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    Philly_Q said:
    I've still got the Hamer and the Sessionette, although neither is in working order!  :)
    That’s a shame :anguished: 

The real issue would have been to vote Thatcher out, before she rent the whole country asunder with her ways.
    For sure on that 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    A Les Paul and a Marshall. 

Ah, the rose-tinted glasses. 

Never mind the Winter of Discontent, the 3-day week, the miners bringing down the democratically elected government, the pound in your pocket, the expectation of leaving school to go on the Dole. 
    prowla said:

In 85 that could be feasible  but I was only 12 in 79  even odd jobs I did ,like shifting a few hundred  pan tiles only payed £1 each to me and my pal , 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    prowla said:

Never mind the Winter of Discontent, the 3-day week, the miners bringing down the democratically elected government, the pound in your pocket, the expectation of leaving school to go on the Dole. 
    Who introduced the three-day week and allowed the miners to bring the government down? Heath, not Callaghan.

Sorry if this belongs in the politics section, but historical untruths like this need to be called out or they tend to stick by repetition. The Winter of Discontent I'll give you as Callaghan's fault - he should have called the election for the autumn of '78, with hindsight - and the other two can be blamed on both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    prowla said:

Can't have roses without a load of shit I suppose?  :#
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    Oooh, Mrs Thatch, little bit of politics....

Don't derail the thread too much please guys, it was interesting!

ben elton - doing stand up comedy  a little bit of politics The Man From  Auntie  Ben elton Comedians Comedy tv
  • Hondo 2 Les Paul shaped thing and a sessionette.
    Hondo 2 Les Paul shaped thing and a sessionette.
    Sounds like a great pairing 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    79 you say. I had a Columbus LP copy and I think I had an HH solid state combo around then. The HH was dead reliable but it never sounded like I wanted it to... it just never got dirty enough and sounded really fizzy with a drive pedal in front. The Columbus looked the part but was crap: weedy sounding pickups, really soft fret wire, cheap mazak tuners. 
    prowla said:

In 85 that could be feasible  but I was only 12 in 79  even odd jobs I did ,like shifting a few hundred  pan tiles only payed £1 each to me and my pal , 
    I had a Ric bass, a pair of Marshall 4x12 cabs and a Burman amp in the 70s. 
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:

Who introduced the three-day week and allowed the miners to bring the government down? Heath, not Callaghan.

Sorry if this belongs in the politics section, but historical untruths like this need to be called out or they tend to stick by repetition. The Winter of Discontent I'll give you as Callaghan's fault - he should have called the election for the autumn of '78, with hindsight - and the other two can be blamed on both.
    Ah, the sick man of Europe. 

One persons “untruth” is another’s “opinion” ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    prowla said:

Ah, the sick man of Europe. 

One persons “untruth” is another’s “opinion” ...
    No, the three-day week and the miners effectively bringing down the government are historical facts - both Heath's doing.

There seems to be a popular belief that everything that was wrong with Britain in the 1970s was the fault of the "Labour governments" - in fact there was only one, from 1974 to 1979. Much of the damage was done by Heath before leaving `Labour to try to fix the mess.

You may think what you like about Thatcher and whether what she did was necessary - personally I think she did some good and a larger amount of harm, which could have been avoided - but don't base it on falsehoods about what came before.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You are welcome to your opinions and interpretation of the history. 

Not my problem.