Show us your Semi(s)

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Yeah - love it.   When I first acquired it it was in a really bad way - needed a lot of cleaning and a full set up.  The finish looks plain black on the pic but is actually a charcoal sparkle.   I ought to play it more really.  

I’m in the market for another good semi when I move on a couple of other guitars.  
    I had a fat bodied Washburn J6 ( or 600 ?) in the 80s and really wish I still had it.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    brooom said:
    I really like your description because it is quite accurate... a lot of post 90s Japan made ES-335 style guitars, have that banjo-y sound to them. I personally also quite like it as well, but it's different from what you'd expect from a 50s/60s 335.

I've had and still have Gibson reissues, the one I've kept which I liked the most is my 2014 61 reissue (Warren Haynes model) and even though it's a great guitar, I also think it doesn't quite match up a good old 335.

The one place where I was able to get something very similar to the bark and sustain of an old Gibson 335s, was in the late 70s/early 80s 335s from Japan. For example early 80s tokai ES-100/150, late 70s/mid 80s Greco SA-900/1200 (SA61-90/SA59-120), Vesta Graham VCG-1000, those have been the closest ones I've tried, so far.

I think in the late 80s, some Japanese factories started using different plywood (literally different ways of stacking the plies rather then different quality of wood). And the neck angles of the guitars also seem different (they're not set so shallow). This, in my opinion, makes up for the difference.

So I really agree with your statement, most of the Orvilles/late 80s/90s Grecos/Newer Tokais seem to have that banjo plink to their sound. I really like that sound though, it's a "cardboard like" attack to the note, which gives the guitar a really cool hollow sound.

But if you want something thicker, that plays and resonates like a 50s/60s Gibson late 70s/early 80s japanese 335s have it in my opinion.
    I've heard great things about the Warren Haynes 335s. I seem to recall lots of other cool signature 335s around this time, particularly the Rich Robinson and the Luther Dickinson. I suppose it helps that I really like the three of them as players!

My (completely unproven) theory is that my 345 is a bit more "plonky" is that there's what appears to be a large chunk cut out of the centre block between the pickups to accommodate the choke, or whatever that large doodad is that actually generates the varitone sounds. I would imagine this gives a slight hint of hollowbodyness compared to a fully centre-blocked 335. Like I said, complete speculation but fun nevertheless.

Interesting about the guitars that have the different sound and I'll try and see if I can find some clips/reviews. I liked my Tokai ES and can't quite remember why I ended up selling it. My best recollection was that I didn't like the heavily flamed top which is a bit stupid really, particularly as I had some Seth Lover pickups put in (doubly stupid as the original pickups sounded just as good - I still have them somewhere). The Orville was also great but had a very slim neck. Again, I should probably have held on to it.

I'm not really enough of an expert and I've never played a genuine vintage 335. Given my disposable income is pretty much nonexistent these days, that might be a good thing!

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and insight - very interesting stuff.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    edited April 2021
    @Basher - you're unproven theory is actually another thing I've noticed. For example, of those 2014 limited runs that Gibson created, I also had the 59 reissue Rusty Anderson model. I've since sold it.

Also a real nice 335, but it had no cutaway in the maple block, whereas the Warren Haynes has the cutaway at the bidge pickup (like a real 1961 should).

It does sound more plonky then the 59 Rusty Anderson, and that is precisely why I prefered it over the Rusty Anderson (that and the neck shape actially). It behaves more like what I perceive a semi hollow should be like.

I guess in a way, it could be said that there was a smaller difference between the 59 Rusty Anderson and a Les Paul in sound and feel. And the 61 Warren Haynes is more unique sounding, more plonky and hollow.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited April 2021
    PeteC said:
    Yeah - love it.   When I first acquired it it was in a really bad way - needed a lot of cleaning and a full set up.  The finish looks plain black on the pic but is actually a charcoal sparkle.   I ought to play it more really.  

I’m in the market for another good semi when I move on a couple of other guitars.  
    I had a fat bodied Washburn J6 ( or 600 ?) in the 80s and really wish I still had it.   

It’s my go to, as it’s old and battered enough that I’m not scared it’s in a rack rather than a case, so it stays to hand.

Quick question:  Is there glue holding the centre block in on yours?

Mine has what looks like pva poorly applied, but I’m guessing it’s after market.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Cacofonix said:
    PeteC said:

It’s my go to, as it’s old and battered enough that I’m not scared it’s in a rack rather than a case, so it stays to hand.

Quick question:  Is there glue holding the centre block in on yours?

Mine has what looks like pva poorly applied, but I’m guessing it’s after market.
    I’ll take a look.  It all looks fully original and in very good nick   Cant recall seeing any glue spillout in the cavity.   
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    John_A said:
    1982 Japanese Washburn HB35, a few changed bits, and not fantastic non-original pickups, but it's really nice, certainly scratched the itch for a lot less than a 335 

Nice. Over the years I’ve seen loads of guitarists in goth bands playing Washburn HB35’s. No idea, but they seem to be very popular with those players. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1218

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3170
    edited April 2021
    Have no idea how you post an actual picture !
    Some gorgeous instruments on here.....
    Fixed for you

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Here's my 2, nothing flash or fancy but I love them just the same. Not great pics either but it's the best I can do right now.

Epi 339 Pro, this has had the pickguard removed, and all the electrics replaced with CTS pots, new loom and Tonerider pickups. Rocksong in the bridge and Alnico II Classic in the neck. Speaking of the neck, this guitar has my favourite neck of all my guitars and it's the reason I spent as much on upgrades and setups as the guitar originally cost. This will be with me until I die.

This is my Gretsch Streamliner G2622T in Torino Green. Centre block guitar, just recently got it back from storage and had it set up. Only collected it yesterday, but it plays and sounds way better than the price would suggest. Honestly, I bought it on looks mainly because it's the closest thing to a Gibson 335 Chris Cornell signature that I could afford so I'm over the moon that it's so good. Completely standard.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 142
    Here’s my pair

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom