Gilmour...

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I prefer something a bit more energetic these days.
    Pink Floyd's great if you're stoned out of your box but it does nothing for me now I've knocked all that on the head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Gilmour's all right but he'll never be a Rob Chapman.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1605
    Sassafras said:
    Gilmour's all right but he'll never be a Rob Chapman.

You never know - stranger things have happened.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
    I love Gilmour's playing. I also love Vai's playing and Oz Noy etc. etc.. It's all good or bad depending on your taste.

I sat on a train into Victoria once and looked up half asleep to see the great man sitting opposite me. I tried hard not to smile but couldn't help it. After a while and me taking a couple of glances to be sure I wasn't going mad he smiled.. I should have said something but didn't and wandered off into the commuting masses..
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    I love Gilmour's playing. I also love Vai's playing and Oz Noy etc. etc.. It's all good or bad depending on your taste.

I sat on a train into Victoria once and looked up half asleep to see the great man sitting opposite me. I tried hard not to smile but couldn't help it. After a while and me taking a couple of glances to be sure I wasn't going mad he smiled.. I should have said something but didn't and wandered off into the commuting masses..
    What was Vai doing on Southern Rail?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    edited April 2021
    p90fool said:
    Does nothing for me I'm afraid, in fact as a guitar obsessive and rock fan in the 1970s I was barely aware of Pink Floyd as a guitar band at all, other than for the odd bit of Hillage-style dreamy noodling. 

I'm sure if I listened to it properly I'd find some value in it, but it always seemed kind of obvious and inoffensive to me in guitar terms, sort of "synth pad, cymbal wash, minor key, try not to stand out too much" sort of playing. 
    At the risk of making myself deeply unpopular round here, and somewhat tongue in cheek, but I always saw Pink Floyd as being the sort of band that people who buy their art in Ikea would like.

I just don't get what it is that people get excited by. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 216
    Stuckfast said:
    I don't think you can measure the greatness of a guitarist in number of albums sold or number of people inspired to pick up a guitar. If that was the case then Bob Dylan would be a great guitarist.

You could perhaps measure it in terms of originality or technical ability or versatility or in having an identifiable sound. In which case Gilmour would score highly on the last of them but not so much the others.

I think Gilmour's appeal as a guitarist actually lies in the fact that what he does is relatively easy to understand and imitate. The reason there aren't many Fripp or Howe copyists is that you'd have to dedicate years of your life just practising to be anywhere near able to play like that. Whereas most competent players with a Strat and a delay pedal can produce something that sounds reminiscent of Gilmour, even if it doesn't necessarily capture all the nuances of his playing.
    This sums it up for me really.

I feel very much the same about Stevie Ray Vaughan. He is the text book blues guitarist, instantly recognisable in both playing and sound and not too hard to copy. I think about 90% of all (bedroom) blues players tend to copy him.

Interestingly enough, Queen is similar in popularity to the Pink Floyd, but the guitar bits are much harder to copy (including the sound), maybe that's why May hasn't got as many devout copy cats as Gilmour.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    I once saw Jimmy Page getting off a train at Victoria.  I wonder if there's a secret hangout for elderly rock stars in Croydon or Epsom?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Emiel said:
    I think about 90% of all (bedroom) blues players tend to copy him.
    Get OUT of my bedroom!
  • Gassage said:

I would also guess his famous namesake 'Dave Gilmore' would be in second place...
    Is that not the bloke out of 'The Executioner's Song'?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited April 2021
    Sassafras said:
    I prefer something a bit more energetic these days.
    Pink Floyd's great if you're stoned out of your box but it does nothing for me now I've knocked all that on the head.

I find them very depressing these days and haven't listened to them, through choice, for a long time. Even though I do think the music is great.

Saying that I only really like some of their albums. Don't like the early stuff or the later stuff. Don't really like any of the solo work either. Maybe bits n bobs.

And Bob Dylan IS a great guitarist 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    He’s unique. Doesn’t sound like anyone else. He’s in my top 5 of all time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Why are you all banging on about pink floyd?

Im taking about Mathew Gilmour - songwriter and guitarist...

https://www.mattgilmour.com/

I’ll edit my op...
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    poopot said:
    Why are you all banging on about pink floyd?

Im taking about Mathew Gilmour - songwriter and guitarist...

https://www.mattgilmour.com/

I’ll edit my op...
    I quite liked Collages :3
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    Great player but does absolutely nothing for me with either his playing or singing. One exception is Shine On Your Crazy Diamond which I quite like, but I'm not really into Pink Floyd in general.
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    Philly_Q said:
    I once saw Jimmy Page getting off a train at Victoria.  I wonder if there's a secret hangout for elderly rock stars in Croydon or Epsom?

Maybe Page travels a lot or lives near Gatwick - I sat next to him on the Gatwick Express once and we chatted for half an hour. The ticket inspector didn't even turf me out of first class!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    Good, tasteful but not particularly remarkable guitarist in a very dull band for me.  A couple of very good solos but no more so than I'd expect from a guy who'd been a pro musician for any length of time.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited April 2021
    Bach and Kurt Cobain - who was the better musician? 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    I think he's genius in the right environment and that environment is Floyd or the Floyd sound ....I love his playing and could listen to him more than any other guitarist ...he plays just what's needed for the song and what he puts in is always a contribution to the song and not just a guitar solo...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Gassage said:
    Joey Waronker was absolutely mind blowing as a drummer on that last tour

I saw him play in Beck's band many years ago and he was shit hot. That's Devil's Haircut Beck, not Jeff Beck.

Great drummer.
    And he played with the better Beck too!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.