Baritone Jazzmaster build

So a G&B Builds Jazzmaster body arrived today - a korina 2 piece routed for humbuckers. The idea is to build a bari using a conversion neck that was previously on a Strat (which has been converted back and given to my daughter).

A few choices to come, finish being the first one. I wanted to see the body first before deciding - I'm thinking the grain is good enough to go for some sort of stain, maybe one of the Crimson ones. Something reasonably dark - maybe a tobacco burst if I can figure out how to do one.

Pics here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/9tVM4jzwCpsH77j6A
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Great project. What's the quality of the tonewood G&B use? I'm fussy about such things and like things really resonant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    Looks and feels really good. Obviously time will tell...
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Nice. Does it pass the knuckle knocking test?
    I don't know that one. What is regarded a pass?
    Crimson black and amber stains ordered. Still not entirely sure what finish I'm aiming for here - I think it will depend on how the amber combines with the wood colour. Might just use black to highlight grain or go for some sort of burst effect.
    Thinking about wiring for this build today. It's going to be a dual humbucker build, and it won't have the traditional JM rhythm circuit. I'm wondering if I could maybe add some sort of bass cut control in place of the rhythm circuit, or possibly a coil split.

Wiring diagram 1b here might do the trick https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/three-must-try-guitar-wiring-mods

Thinking out loud really!
    edited June 2021
    I've been slowly working on the finish for this build - very roughly a tobacco burst stain finished with oil, although the burst effect seems to have faded as I've applied the coats of oil. No worries - it's still sort of in the ballpark. I'll try and post pictures once I've flatted off the finish and polished it up.

Now approaching pickup selection time - I have been thinking about trying Railhammer Chisel pickups because I was impressed with them when I tried a Reverend Descent. However it's a risky move. I think I'd struggle to sell them if I didn't like them. Perhaps should play safe with a set of PAFs?