Underrated pedal brands

What's Hot
personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
There are some great builders out there who for whatever reason seem to go under the radar. Which builders do you think should get more love? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    DOD

Some really good pedals from the 80s and 90s when they were the main competitor to Boss and Ibanez at the higher end of the market before there were ‘boutique’ pedals, but they never seemed to have quite the pro-user credibility... not sure why.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Hungry Robot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Now that 'booteek' pedals have taken over the world, I'd say Boss have become underrated.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    Now that 'booteek' pedals have taken over the world, I'd say Boss have become underrated.

I think that was the case for a while but it's starting to go back again.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Henretta Engineering.  Small. No knobs. Ideal for if you only ever use one setting on a pedal and want to save real-estate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    80s era pedals I heard that sounded good were Pearl and Guyatone..No idea who made the Pearl pedals..I never heard them all,but the ones I heard sounded great..Same with Guyatone.I never heard their distortion or overdrive though..No idea about reliability though...As anything with age people want a fortune for on reverb now..There are no bargains it seems..It is strange,the non Boss/Ibanez brands over 20 years old seem to carry a premium for not being Boss or Ibanez.. I think out of them all,Boss got the switch and box right..The DOD battery door that gets lost and the not as good switch..My Dod graphic is definitely quieter than the Boss though.The non standard10 volt input is a pain though.. .When secondhand Boss is cheaper than secondhand PSK something is wrong..I am quite new to Reverb..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Tokai and Yamaha made some great pedals in the 80s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Alexander by far
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9545
    PTD

Strymon - too many dismiss them as they appear mainstream, but are extremely creative.

Chase Tone - the pre amp thingy is superb.

EHX - some really creative stuff.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    JCA2550 said:
    Tokai and Yamaha made some great pedals in the 80s
    I had a Tokai Flanger,,the first silver and green metal one..I parted with that 30 years ago though..So can't compare it to other Flangers since....I wish I knew what factories made pedals for who..
    I think Korg made the First Yamaha series..The one with the  footwitch up the middle
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Sassafras said:

I think that was the case for a while but it's starting to go back again.
    I would agree with this, helped by the Waza Craft range. I am on a non boutique mission at the moment having had a recent clearout of a few things. I'm even considering buying a Boss GT1000 Core and combining that with my remaining drive pedals.
    In 33 years of playing I have never owned a multi effects but I like the look of both the flexibility and quality it offers. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Way Huge

Have some amazing fuzzes/drives/delays but you just don't see them often compared to other brands.

The green rhino is one of the best ts sounds, and the conspiracy is a phenominal klone (imo).

Plus, top mounted jacks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    edited May 2021
    joeyowen said:

Plus, top mounted jacks!
    Minor thread diversion... but I've never understood this phrase. You mean *rear* mounted jacks... unless I'm missing something . (I've seen plenty of Way Huge pedals.)

These are top mounted jacks :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    ICBM said:
    joeyowen said:

Plus, top mounted jacks!
    Minor thread diversion... but I've never understood this phrase. You mean *rear* mounted jacks... unless I'm missing something . (I've seen plenty of Way Huge pedals.)

Looks like a robot with a goatee. Also faintly upsetting. Where’s the online petition to get the jacks moved?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Joyo , wide range of sounds for affordable price , also ,nux ,donned ,Sonicake 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    The one that make the Bad Monkey tubescreamer type pedal. Very good for the money.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    TC Electronic make some great sounding pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Joyo , wide range of sounds for affordable price , also ,nux ,donned ,Sonicake 
    I'll add Tomsline/Aroma and Mosky to the list. I'm playing through mini pedals now as much as I am full size and the quality is just fine.

• tweedphantweedphan Frets: 51
    PTD

Strymon - too many dismiss them as they appear mainstream, but are extremely creative.

Chase Tone - the pre amp thingy is superb.

EHX - some really creative stuff.

Another vote for Chase Tone preamp. I now have two - one for mini board and the other for main board. Fatten up and enhance both clean and overdrive tones. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    ICBM said:
    joeyowen said:

Plus, top mounted jacks!

Lol, you clearly don't stand your pedals up on the board do you rookie.

Did you not know tone is best when you have to toe poke it on 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom