Underrated pedal brands

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited May 2021
    Carl Martin. I’ve got a Blue Ranger on my board currently, my brother found it in a Cash Convertors for £15. Little to no info on them on the Internet but it sounds great, like a higher gain TS that moves into fuzz at higher gain.

Edit - with the one caveat that the colour and typeface look like absolute s**t, probably part of the reason they weren’t very popular.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

[Behringer]
    I agree...

The TO800 is in fact identical to an original, hyper-expensive TS-808 - there's a video by JHS pedals where he A/B's them in real time with a loop-switcher and there's no change in the sound at all .

Which is the conclusion we came to when we had them side by side and we then realised it was the wider tonal range in the To800 that made it sound better to our ears. The original sounded slightly darker with the gain on higher settings, whereas the To800 tone could go higher and it just sounded a bit brighter. 

Interestingly I just found some shoot out vids and several folk commented the same, ie it was slightly brighter, which is why I preferred it. 
    How many boutique pedals are made with Behringer components anyway? I seem a lot of people sate that a cheap pedal will never, ever sound as good as an expensive pedal. However, when A/Bing a maxon 808 and a bad monkey, using Gibson SG and LP into jmp 2203 amps the whole band agreed the monkey had the edge
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Reverend said:

How many boutique pedals are made with Behringer components anyway? I seem a lot of people sate that a cheap pedal will never, ever sound as good as an expensive pedal. However, when A/Bing a maxon 808 and a bad monkey, using Gibson SG and LP into jmp 2203 amps the whole band agreed the monkey had the edge
    The Bad Monkey isn't quite the same circuit though, it has dual EQ. (And possibly other differences, I would need to check the schematic.)

But yes, the vast majority of boutique pedals will be made with standard Chinese-made components used in most older mass-produced pedals - not newer ones which usually use surface-mount parts.

In terms of component quality the holy grail of vintage Tube Screamers *is* a cheap pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355

Carl Martin. I’ve got a Blue Ranger on my board currently, my brother found it in a Cash Convertors for £15. Little to no info on them on the Internet but it sounds great, like a higher gain TS that moves into fuzz at higher gain.

Edit - with the one caveat that the colour and typeface look like absolute s**t, probably part of the reason they weren’t very popular.

Lucky! The Cash Converters online shop seems to charge more for Behringer and TC Electronic pedals than they'd cost new now. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    I always liked the Danelectro Fab Tone :)

Another mention for the Tech 21 XXL...
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    XTS Xact Tone Solutions, gotta be one of the most under-rated brands at least here in the UK !

Had a good chunk of the range at one time or another - the Pegasus Boost and Atomic OD being mainstays.
    The Imperial covers the Nobels ODR thing, the Precision Multi Drive is a tweak-able take on the Tubescreamer, the Winford very dynamic covering a range of drive levels...

Love those guys and their pedal range...
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4542
    The Rowin mini clone range are excellent. Far outplay the Tone City ones IMHO
  • Korg era Vox pedals other than their wah. Some excellent innovative drives.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Moog

Just such complete sounds from all the old vintage favourites to totally bat shit mental.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    GFI, 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited May 2021
    Coppersound - don’t see them mentioned much on here, but before they released that mentally priced octave pedal (the Jack White one), they produced some great pedals that seemed to go under the radar, like the Foxcatcher (brilliant transparent OD with boost).

Boo Instruments - Brixton-based, make some excellent pedals, solidly built, stark-looking metal enclosures (can be made with light-up baseplates). I had their Tremolo and it sounds great, and they make a lovely boost and delay, amongst others.

Also, already mentioned but further shouts for Fredric Effects (their klones and Super Unpleasant Companion fuzz are so good) and for the hyper-inventive and criminally underrated Alexander Pedals.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    Nocturne - they aren’t just for Gretsch, Analog Alien - some superb and unique pedals and a sneaky +1 for Rodenberg (if you like TS style pedals)