OX box optical output issue: advice, please

lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
I'm about to buy a used Ox box at a great price since the seller says there's an issue with the optical output. However, he says it might be down to his audio interface/sound card. It's still in guarantee but without the box.
600 quid is a great price.  My Presonus audio interface doesn't have an optical input so I won't be able to test it, meaning I'll be using with the Ox's audio outputs anyway. At least for the time being until I invest in an apollo X interface.

Any thoughts, please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    ADAT or SPDIF?
    I have seen budget lightpipe cables that just don't work. Far more likely to be an interface issue or the input sample rates are wrong than the OX having a fault.

Even if it does I doubt you will miss the feature much. 

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    ADAT or SPDIF?
    I have seen budget lightpipe cables that just don't work. Far more likely to be an interface issue or the input sample rates are wrong than the OX having a fault.

in fact, that's what I'm wondering too. Analogue outputs should be fine into an interface. I'm hoping that the seller is having an issue with cables/interface issues rather than the digital output of the Ox itself. TBH, I'm totally unfamiliar with recording in the digital world so another huge learning curve is required. As such I'm unable to answer whether it's ADAT or SPDIF.
  • razorblade_beatrazorblade_beat Frets: 56
    edited May 2021
    Regardless of the potential issue that’s a stellar price...I recently bought one a few month back and absolutely love it! I just use the normal outs. 
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 228
    Having recently paid full price new for one, I absolutely love it, and honestly for that price even if the issue was there, it’s a bargain and worth every penny in my view.

given you probably won’t use the output, I wouldn’t let it put you off, and if you changed your mind I think you’d easily get your money back on it.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Luke Id snatch his hand off for that price... youll never use that optical out anyway...

The poster below had it bang on, imho.
    ADAT or SPDIF?

after @razorblade_beat @notsopro and @Wazmeister recommendation, I think I'll go for it. The seller uses an apollo x4 and said it was working when he got it in 2019, then when he tried it again nothing came out.
    The important thing is getting the ox to reproduce the clean on the Redplate, Warren.

Next investments will be an apollo Twin quad and some Genelec 8020 monitors. The specs show that the 8020D is different to the previous ones. Worth buying a new 8020D or getting a used 8020A or B? Any thoughts @Wazmeister ?
    I have the Ox box. 
    I should probably ask forgiveness to the digital gods for ignoring them and downright insulting them. 
    The ox is remarkable. Attenuation with the Redplate is incredible so I can play at home. But why would I when the headphones sound so good. I don’t have the guts to put the speaker cab away just yet, especially since I’m terrified my kids might play with the speaker output. 
    And the spdif works. The seller himself fixed the issue before selling it to me. 
  • Even bigger bargain then! Also agree the OX is amazing! 
  • smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 148
    edited May 2021
    Amazing kit,I use mine all day, everyday! .. one of my best purchases for a loooooong time.. thanks again @Wazmeister ;;
    My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
    smogfalls said:
    Amazing kit,I use mine all day, everyday! .. one of my best purchases for a loooooong time.. thanks again @Wazmeister ;;
    Amen, especially since I have wax’s Redplate. :)
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 228
    glad you're liking it, i literally was so close to pm'ing you and being like 'mate, seriously, you have to get this, but thought wasn't my money to spend ;) paying full price for mine, feel like you really got yourself a bargain there, good effort.