Bedroom tube amp for AC30 vibes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'm obviously going to plug my Danplifier. Bargain price for a stunning handwired vox ac15 clone with switchable valve top boost, switchable master and a wonderfully simple 6 way tone switch... ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3990
    Here's an idea for the bedroom - Strymon Iridium! Great for recording too but does just as well with headphones.
    The AC30 model on the Iridium is great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited May 2021
    has anyone tried a 60s AC4? I know it won't be at all similar to the AC30 but I really enjoy these tiny amps. They still seem fairly cheap compared to other big brand vintage amps, maybe for a reason.
    I own one, a late 63 AC30 non MV, non top boost with blue speakers.  Bought in 1989 when they were genuinely cheap (£250). 

Frankly it sounds superb regardless of volume, from ticking over in a bedroom to roaring at a gig. I did refit a GZ34 rectifier and increased the bias resistors in the PA stage as it was showing some signs of toasty transformers. 

It’s the only amp I’ll ever need. 
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited May 2021
    Have got the Victory Copper head. I've never played an ac30 for comparison. 

It's a loud amp but on the 12w setting I can use it at home.  The master volume is good.   I think the best tones inside it are the clean and edge of breakup. It's got plenty of mid range and a little compression.

It does the jangly edge of breakup el84 thing nicely. But is it ac30 ish? I don't know.  But It's great.:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    ICBM said:
    For bedroom-sized amps with the real Vox sound you can't go wrong with the AC10C1.

But if you can afford it, fit it in your house and lift it, an AC30 still sounds better.
    Gonna give the AC10 a go, thanks everyone!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9586
    Imho, an AC30 is almost impossible for home use... unless you want to blow the lintels out...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Imho, an AC30 is almost impossible for home use... unless you want to blow the lintels out...
    They have volume controls. You can turn them down :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27156
    ICBM said:
    They have volume controls. You can turn them down :).
    I'd say it depends how you want to use it. If you want clean clean, then obviously they sound amazing at low volume. But if you want that point where it all starts compressing it just doesn't work at home volumes unless you add an OX box or something
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    stickyfiddle said:

I'd say it depends how you want to use it. If you want clean clean, then obviously they sound amazing at low volume. But if you want that point where it all starts compressing it just doesn't work at home volumes unless you add an OX box or something
    Of course. That’s true of any amp where you want power amp compression. But the idea that they aren’t usable at home volumes is nonsense - in fact all the ones I’ve played, of any version, have nice tapers on the volume controls. The ones with master volumes sound decent overdriven as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ICBM said:
    stickyfiddle said:

Of course. That’s true of any amp where you want power amp compression. But the idea that they aren’t usable at home volumes is nonsense - in fact all the ones I’ve played, of any version, have nice tapers on the volume controls. The ones with master volumes sound decent overdriven as well.
    completely agree. 

I dont get the whole anti big amp movement at home. I've always played 50/100 watt amps forever at home and they sound good and dont blow the doors off the hinges etc.

If you want drive, use a pedal.  
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The current AC30s and AC15s have built in reactive attenuators that step you down to home practising and bedroom levels.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The current AC30s and AC15s have built in reactive attenuators that step you down to home practising and bedroom levels.
    This is only on the heads, not the combos, I believe
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    ICBM said:
    stickyfiddle said:

completely agree. 

I dont get the whole anti big amp movement at home. I've always played 50/100 watt amps forever at home and they sound good and dont blow the doors off the hinges etc.

If you want drive, use a pedal.  
    Some amps do sound garbage at low volumes. I’ve had a handful over the years.
    russpm said:

Some amps do sound garbage at low volumes. I’ve had a handful over the years.
    That's true. Most of them sound garbage at higher volumes as well :).

There are also certainly some which have ridiculously steep tapers to the volume controls which makes dialling them in for a low volume quite difficult, but there are ways around that. AC30s are not one of them though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @subsemol, what's your thoughts on the Victory Copper then?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    edited May 2021
    I’d have one of the new(ish) AC15C1’s like a shot if they weren’t absurdly heavy. How can a 15w amp weigh 48lbs? Even if you put a neo speaker in there it would still weigh more than a stock HRD or Deluxe Reverb. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I've got an AC30S1 in the classifieds right now - a single speaker makes a difference to the volume, but I won't lie to you - it's fecking loud!

But ping me if you are interested.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/