Preamp pedals

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So pondering the meaning of life, preamp pedals and output stages. 

Say you took a victory v4 preamp amp pedal, wouldn't it make sense to have a "colouring" Poweramp? Say, something like a marshall el34? So it reflects the preamp and power amp sections of a "normal" amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    It depends.

You might want the harder attack of a solid state amp with a Kraken.

I tried both with my Helix. Both worked well just had to be dialed in.

Top tip: many cheap heads like Jet City are much cheaper than stupidly overpriced valve poweramps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Jetfire said:

Say you took a victory v4 preamp amp pedal, wouldn't it make sense to have a "colouring" Poweramp? Say, something like a marshall el34? So it reflects the preamp and power amp sections of a "normal" amp?
    Maybe. But you can also mix and match, to more easily get sounds you might not find in a typical amp.

Also bear in mind that most of the tonal characteristics come from the preamp, not the power amp - although the power amp can have a larger effect on the dynamics.

monquixote said:

Top tip: many cheap heads like Jet City are much cheaper than stupidly overpriced valve poweramps. 
    Especially if you don’t need stereo. Most dedicated power amps are stereo, and rack-mounted.

There are a huge number of fairly cheap valve amps which will work perfectly well. All you need is an FX loop/power amp input, or even a very basic clean channel (eg Orange Rocker 30).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    ICBM said:
    Jetfire said:

Maybe. But you can also mix and match, to more easily get sounds you might not find in a typical amp.

Also bear in mind that most of the tonal characteristics come from the preamp, not the power amp - although the power amp can have a larger effect on the dynamics.

monquixote said:

Especially if you don’t need stereo. Most dedicated power amps are stereo, and rack-mounted.

There are a huge number of fairly cheap valve amps which will work perfectly well. All you need is an FX loop/power amp input, or even a very basic clean channel (eg Orange Rocker 30).
    I guess if you had something like

Preamp pedal i.e Kraken
    Into FX loop of jet city
    Into cab of choice

Then you'd be landed really. Hmm things to ponder