Ageing nickel humbucker covers (for a replica guitar project)...

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm working on a project to make as exact a replica as possible of the custom "Jazzbird" guitar owned by Grant Nicholas (from Feeder):

It's been a long time in the making, but things are finally starting to move along, the neck is finished, the body has been designed and is about to be built...

ANYWAY - I've got a set of humbuckers that I want to use for the project. They've currently got raw nickel covers, but I'm trying to make this as accurate a replica as possible, and the original guitar has fairly uniquely aged nickel humbucker covers (and poles). I've not really seen an "aged" set that gets close to the appearance of the humbuckers on the OG guitar.

Here's a close up of the neck pup:

Is there anyone who would be able to accurately replicate similar ageing on my existing raw nickel pickups?

Thanks for any help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Js24Js24 Frets: 7
    I should also add, I've seen a few things about the vinegar technique, but I'm not sure if that will work for this kind of ageing?? Would be happy to give it a go if it's a possible route, although I'd be slightly scared at the idea of removing/reinstalling covers on potted pickups!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    For that kind on nickel I would go going with the acid technique where you put the parts in a plastic tub, float it on some acid and seal the whole thing up.

Normally with nickel I just use ferric chloride and dip them in for a few seconds at a time... but I don't think that will give the greener tones of those above.

I wouldn't do any kind of extreme ageing without removing the covers and pole screws first, although the potting actually helps protect things for more minor wear techniques 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    If you haven’t already got the covers, buy raw nickel covers and they will age very quickly...

Couple of weeks old and very little play with those and they are already looking mucky!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    For that kind on nickel I would go going with the acid technique where you put the parts in a plastic tub, float it on some acid and seal the whole thing up.

Normally with nickel I just use ferric chloride and dip them in for a few seconds at a time... but I don't think that will give the greener tones of those above.

I wouldn't do any kind of extreme ageing without removing the covers and pole screws first, although the potting actually helps protect things for more minor wear techniques 
    Thanks WesV - you’re right, I definitely want to try and replicate the greener tones from the original pickups…

Is there a particular acid I should look at?

If I’m going the DIY route I’ll definitely remove the covers and pole screws… the last thing I want is to ruin the humbuckers!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Hydrochloric acid.  Wear appropriate PPE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I use hydrochloride acid, the floating method. Do it outside, when it’s not windy, and hold your breathe when opening the lids etc. It’s fun to do and gets some good results.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys!

I’m a tad worried about taking the raw nickel covers off the potted pickups, and putting them back on, but I think I’ll give it a go…

Just out of interest - do you think hydrochloric acid is better than the vinegar technique for getting that greenish tone from the raw nickel?? 

Cheers again :)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks a cool guitar!  Have you anymore pics of your version?