Build-your-own pedal

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 11043
The little chap and I are going to make a pedal for him. I'm thinking either a delay or an OD. Is that a good choice? And recommendations / linkies please! Has to have battery and plug-in.
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I would have thought a delay would be pretty complex, but overdrives (and even more so fuzzes) are pretty simple :)

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    pedalparts.co.uk

Go nuts! I've done about 6 of theirs and every one is great.

As a general rule fuzzes are really simple, then drives a bit harder and modulationy and delay stuff usually the most complex. 

Obviously this isn't completely true - fuzz factories are a pain because of all the pots to wire up...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 11043
    Thanks guys, will rethink. I was hoping an analogue delay would be simple. Ok OD / dist it is. Cheers
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    pedalparts.co.uk

As a general rule fuzzes are really simple, then drives a bit harder and modulationy and delay stuff usually the most complex. 

Obviously this isn't completely true - fuzz factories are a pain because of all the pots to wire up...

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Filth_Fack!_-_Crazy_Germanium_Fuzz,__board-mount_version/p847124_8574326.aspx

Fuzz factory with pcb mounted pots - problem solved. :-)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Gagaryn said:
    pedalparts.co.uk

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Filth_Fack!_-_Crazy_Germanium_Fuzz,__board-mount_version/p847124_8574326.aspx

Fuzz factory with pcb mounted pots - problem solved. :-)

You can't get a battery in that one though, unless you use a bigger case :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Sorted - Mr. Keeley is going to send us his new echo pedal as a kit. :)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I might try their analog delay at some point. IMO the tricky part is wiring the pots and switches, a delay PCB is not going to be any harder than a Tubescreamer PCB to solder.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    You tend to get ICs on the more complex pedals, which you have to be a lot more careful with so that you don't cook them.  It's probably best to use a socket for them, but even then the legs are so close together it's very fiddly soldering them.

There are also more components in a delay so there is more chance of a bad joint etc, and it would also be harder to track down the fault if it did occur.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1779
    edited July 2014
    If it's your first go with a BYOC kit (Vibe-o-tronic are the UK distributers). Top quality stuff, really easy to follow, teaches you a lot of good practices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all, sorted now :)