Ernie Ball Strings - QC?

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1300
I used to use EB strings many years ago, but stopped because I had several break when fitting and a couple actually unravelled from the ball when tuning.  I'm paranoid about fakes and I always buy from a trusted dealer so that couldn't have been the problem, so I switched to D'Addario with which I've had no problems at all.

Anyway, my teenage lad has settled upon using a hybrid gauge of strings that D'Addario don't appear to have in their range, so I tentatively bought a set of Ernie Ball Turbo Slinkys instead.  He got a new (used) guitar this week for his 16th birthday which I restrung before the big day, but he started to experience tuning problems with the high E string.  I cleaned up the nut and saddle slots and applied some nut sauce but the problem remained until eventually the string pinged and partially unravelled at the ball end.

It's naffed me right off, and I'm totally sworn off EB strings now.  Given my experience, it can't be total coincidence.  Has anybody else had problems?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Not had a single issue in 27 years.  They are they only strings I’ll use. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4802
    I've had nowt but issues with Ernie's so I only use Daddarios now, have done for a long time. Conversely, my mate who was the same as me used a set one night at a gig because that's all the shop had. Has used them since and said he's had no problems, he uses 11's or 12's like, but can be hard on strings. YMMV and all that.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Used to get problems with Ernie Ball all the time years ago, the same issues you’re having. Switched to Daddario for the longest time. Nowadays I like to try different brands but Daddario and Elixir have always been great. 
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I've had the ball end unravelling issue with Ernie Ball a few times over the years - happened often enough for me to switch away.  Never had it happen with any other brand.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    Used EBs for 30 years save for a trial with Daddarios for a year and they kept unravelling at the ball end and I even got my first ever live gig string break with them.  Went back to EBs only.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2021
    Speaking of string breakage, a couple of weeks back I dropped Daddario a Line as I had, very unusually, 2 wound strings break within a few days on 2 different guitars. Not at the ball end or bridge either.

Ive been using D'addario for donkeys years and register the numbers on the D'addario website. Admittedly it was from a 10 pack that was over a year old so it was nothing more than a gentle query if there was any shelf life I should be mindful of?

Anyway, they asked for my address and I was just hoping they might have sent me an A and D to replace the ones I had to break into a new set to replace. But bless them, they sent me 3 whole packs!! I said it was more than kind and they really didnt need to do that, but they said 'we thought it was the right thing to do. 

I was just gobsmacked ..but how's that for customer service!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Been an EB user for over a decade. Never had any issues with new strings fitted. Well, once with a high e string but that was cos I didn't do enough winds and the lack of slack meant it snapped before it was strung to pitch. So my own fault. 

Started off using D'addarios but they just don't feel right to me, a little stiff and no glide. Went back once for a stint but never again.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Like grungebob I’ve not had an issue with Ernie Ball’s for the past 20 years. I’ve briefly dabbled with other brands but have come back to EB’s. I’ve no desire to change.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Used EB’s for the last 10+ years. Never had an issue or a dud. 

I’ve never had one break on me either. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    I used to find, before they switched to foil packaging, that I’d often get slightly corroded strings in packs of EBs. I had the same issue with Fender strings.   I moved away for a long time to D’Addario, as they seemed to be better, having that corrosion resistant inner packaging.  I recently started using Primo Slinky EBs and they have been fine.  No issues in the roughly 24 sets I have used since I switched. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Switched to Daddario 2-3 years ago for no good reason, never had issues with EBs. Yesterday I restrung my Martin acoustic with an old set of EB Earthwound (80/20s) and they’ve transformed the tone for the better, unexpectedly good. A bit too light at 11 gauge so I’ve ordered them in 12s for the next change. Will probably start migrating back to EB for my electrics.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Never had a ball end unravel, in 40 years of using EB strings.
    I have had a few sets that seemed to go dead quite quickly though, but can't remember the last breakage either.
    Maybe it is because I mostly use 10-52, but sometimes 11-54.
    I usually get the triple packs, and try to get them for around £15 posted.
    I have thought about trying something else, but cost always gets in the way.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    grungebob said:
    Not had a single issue in 27 years.  They are they only strings I’ll use. 
    Same. I’m trying some Feline sets atm. But I’ve used Hybrid Slinky’s for 28 years. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I used EBs when I first started playing but I always had issues with them breaking early or being rusty in the packet (old style plastic sleeve/paper sachet ones). Switched to D'addario and was happy with them for years. Recently I've tried EB again because they have a better range of "in-between" gauges and they seem much longer lasting than they used to. Got some of the 10-48s on their way to try.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I've had a few which were a bit rusty. I stick to daddarios for simplicity.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    EB 10-46 is my default. I buy dozens of the bloody things from Strings Direct who are, quite honestly, brilliant.
    Call me Dave.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Funnily enough I opened a sealed pack of Super Slinkys yesterday - two of the unwound strings were rusty. 

I don't use them anymore but I was putting them on my Grandson's mini Strat.

Admittedly I'd had them a while but still... :s
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    Voxman said:
    Speaking of string breakage, a couple of weeks back I dropped Daddario a Line as I had, very unusually, 2 wound strings break within a few days on 2 different guitars. Not at the ball end or bridge either.

Ive been using D'addario for donkeys years and register the numbers on the D'addario website. Admittedly it was from a 10 pack that was over a year old so it was nothing more than a gentle query if there was any shelf life I should be mindful of?

Anyway, they asked for my address and I was just hoping they might have sent me an A and D to replace the ones I had to break into a new set to replace. But bless them, they sent me 3 whole packs!! I said it was more than kind and they really didnt need to do that, but they said 'we thought it was the right thing to do. 

I was just gobsmacked ..but how's that for customer service!
    Great story re the replacements...

Interestingly, I had a similar issue a couple of weeks back where I did a gig (lucky me!) with a brand new set of D'Addario 12s on my acoustic and after less than 2 hours of playing the G has split - as in, there's a gap in the winds over the 5th fret where the core is exposed if that makes sense. Very disappointing and has basically convinced me to switch acoustic brands immediately. I've barely worked for a year, I can't afford an extra fiver+ every single gig on new strings.

As for EBs, I've broken one or two but that was during a long spell of gigs a Summer or two back. More than happy to be called lazy but I play my strings until one breaks, at which point I'll usually replace the lot. As the sole guitarist in a trio, I always take a spare guitar anyway. Only once have I had to do the ninja, on-stage string replacement and tune up during the first verse before we get to the chorus!

But I digress. I'm back on Ernies for all my 9s, despite actually really liking Fender's 250s as well, but I need strings in individual packets. Can't be doing with opening a packet and having them explode, pointy end first, directly into my eyeballs like a can of joke snakes. And don't get me started on colour coded ball ends...

As for 10s, I stupidly bought a whole load of Roto yellows a while back and I'm working through those but will be back to Ernies as soon as they're all used up.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Great story re the replacements...

More than happy to be called lazy but I play my strings until one breaks, at which point I'll usually replace the lot. 
    At home and for band practice I'm very much the same. But for gigs I always make sure the strings are at least very new, otherwise I change them.  I do tend to look after strings, using GHS Fast Fret and cleaning/wiping strings down so there's no crud build up under the string.  If noticeably the tone goes and tuning becomes an issue, I will change strings then, or if any kinks appear.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Funnily enough, I've only ever broken 2 strings.
    One was an EB, the other was a Rotosound.