Moving from wraparound to TOM

What's Hot
tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
edited May 2021 in Making & Modding
I don't like the amount of fiddling it takes to install strings on my Gordon Smith... contemplating an TOM instead - would mean drilling extra holes for the stop-tail and getting adapters for the bridge,  anyone done it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Personally I would get a Schaller 455 bridge. No longer made, and they seem to go for quite silly prices when they do come up, but it will solve the problem without butchering the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    If stringing a wraparound electric guitar bridge is too much fiddling about, filling and redrilling for a replacement bridge installation ought to be totally unconscionable. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Don't you just do one string at a time with a wraparound bridge? 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:
    No you (i) slacken all the strings, cut them and remove from the tuners (ii) take off the bridge and remove all the strings from it (iii) pass all the new strings through the holes in the bridge (iv) refit the bridge to the posts and finally (v) attach strings to tuners and tune to pitch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The real problem is if you *do* need to replace just one... sometimes there’s so little clearance between it and the bridge pickup that it’s almost impossible.

I have never really understood why they’re so desirable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    The real problem is if you *do* need to replace just one... sometimes there’s so little clearance between it and the bridge pickup that it’s almost impossible.

They are pretty comfortable on the palm! 

Fuengi said:
    No you (i) slacken all the strings, cut them and remove from the tuners (ii) take off the bridge and remove all the strings from it (iii) pass all the new strings through the holes in the bridge (iv) refit the bridge to the posts and finally (v) attach strings to tuners and tune to pitch

Good to know! I've not changed strings on my LP jr yet, look forward to dropping the bridge on the top.  :/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    ICBM said:

this, I've less than 1cm space to poke a string through - no way I'd want to do that between songs.

as for the faff of drilling and resetting (if needed - that's what I cam here to find out - you'd think there'd be a load of adaptors out there) ... the "faff" is irrelevant it's a matter of "low premium time" vs "high premium time" - on stage with a band and audience waiting (either just to get to the end or with anticipation) is what I'd class as "high premium time" so I wouldn't drill and fill the post holes whilst on stage ;) I wouldn't even want to go "threading the needle" to fit a string in the tiny gap betwixt bridge pickup and wrap-over... whereas in "low-premium time" where it's a toss-up between watching a repeat of Antiques Roadtrip with SWMBO or ducking into the gaarage - well that's a no brainer - I'd do either at that point ;) 
    The big problem with a conversion is that the post hole spacing for the tune-o-matic is completely different from the stopbar. I don’t know if you can get - or could make - inserts with an offset bridge post, but if not then you’ll need to plug the existing holes and drill new ones, which won’t look very good since the old holes will be outside the footprint of the new bridge.

Another option might be a stopbar with a ridge and string grooves (a plain one won’t work, the strings will slide about) and a second tailpiece behind it - Gibson did this on the cheaper non-reverse Firebirds with vibratos.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
    I am tempted by the Schaller approach, it makes the most sense. Cheers ICBM :)
    I am tempted by the Schaller approach, it makes the most sense.
    I think Gordon-Smith might even have used them on some original models, but I can't remember.

It's annoying that they're unavailable new, and the prices people have started to ask for them are getting silly - but still probably less than if you have to pay a professional to modify the guitar.

Even more frustratingly I have most of one in my parts collection! But it's missing the string anchor bar and one of the saddles... otherwise I'd be happy to sell it to you (for a lot less).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    ICBM said:

Even more frustratingly I have most of one in my parts collection! But it's missing the string anchor bar and one of the saddles... otherwise I'd be happy to sell it to you (for a lot less).
    i thought i might be able to help there, but its the saddles I am missing.   
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Would a hip shot grand baby be an appropriate bridge? Depends if you like the look of course, I kinda like it, but I’m sure it’s also very guitar dependent. 
    So my issue with the baby grand is I'm a southpaw,  in some ways I'd prefer the reduced string tension in the higher strings my Tokai 335 uses the wrapover approach...

Being able to assemble a 445 from parts would be awesome - are the saddles any different from TOM saddles?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671

Being able to assemble a 445 from parts would be awesome - are the saddles any different from TOM saddles?
    yeah, they are chunky brass things.   I can't believe i would have thrown them away, but remember removing them from the bridge to try on something else   
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Alternative solution that would look right in the Gibson tradition, the short vibrola tailpiece.

Doesn't matter if you don't use the wobble arm. The installation is three wood screws. 

If you can find one, the EDS-1275 string anchor might suffice.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    That's a very neat solution, I haven't seen one of those before.

Well durn it! Looks like that would have been a good option but I got beaten to it :) 

There don't seem to be any in the shops at the moment either... hmm 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think it would be easy to make something to do the job, fairly simple.
    Turn 2 large brass plugs to fit in the existing bridge post holes, with a large enough area on top to position 2 brazed threads to accept an ABR, or Nashville, in the correct position.
    Some sort of trapeze attached to the strap button, and Bobs your uncle.
    I could do it, if I had the time and equipment, and it would be bespoke to the instrument.
    But I can't, because I don't, and a wraparound has it's own charms.
    Tonequest report did their own search for the best sounding LP, and a wraptail came out on top.