Titebond original vs gorilla wood glue

What's Hot

My go to wood glue is titebond original, I can still pick it up online but alot of stores  seemed to have moved over to gorrila glue brand  (screwfix, wickes etc) . 

Is there much difference?  I normally use the glue for cleats, cracks in acoustics tops  and neck repairs on my own repair  projects  .

The thing I like about titebond is the slow set time allowing me to clean and move things around to get them in place but I have read that gorilla glue cures faster .

Any input would be appreciated. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    The wood glue does cure faster, I don't think that is always a good thing... probably still going to leave things in clamps for 24 hours when i can

Its a bit harder to clean up than Titebond original, and also leaves a darker glue line.  something to watch out for on pale woods.

It will work fine though.

not to be confused with other types of glue sold by the Gorilla Glue brand - the original Gorilla Glue is not suitable for most of what we do

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    WezV said:

the original Gorilla Glue is not suitable for most of what we do
    Try telling that to most of the people who have already used it...

... when you have to explain why it’s going to cost so much to fix the mess they’ve caused :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    The same people who talk about gap filling properties as a positive attribute for a wood glue...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    WezV said:
    The same people who talk about gap filling properties as a positive attribute for a wood glue...
    One of the worst I’ve seen was a Chinese Gretsch which someone had tried to put a pair of TV Jones Filtertons into - of course they didn’t fit the holes at all, so the obvious solution was... Gorilla Glue!

Unfortunately the glue penetrated into the pickups and wrecked the windings somehow. Both dead. I did quote for repairing it but it was more than the guitar was worth, so I bought it for the value of the genuine vintage Gretsch Bigsby that he’d also put on it.

I did manage to get the dead pickups out without destroying the guitar, and fixed the mess by fitting a pair of Duncan humbuckers since they were big enough to cover the holes.

I ended up giving it to a friend, as far as I know he’s still using it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezV said:
    The wood glue does cure faster, I don't think that is always a good thing... probably still going to leave things in clamps for 24 hours when i can

Its a bit harder to clean up than Titebond original, and also leaves a darker glue line.  something to watch out for on pale woods.

It will work fine though.

not to be confused with other types of glue sold by the Gorilla Glue brand - the original Gorilla Glue is not suitable for most of what we do

Thanks, will stick with the titebond andwil just have to order it online from now on . 

Thanks again 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited May 2021
    I have used  Tite bond for years,  it does the job and has never let me down. I bought some Gorilla glue recently to fix a window. I can confirm it sticks wood together, but it dries brown. Personally, I would not use it for guitars