3/4 SIZE GUITARS.

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3501
So my wee man is ready for a proper guitar and lessons, we have been jamming and he just strums without holding chords etc, he told me ''daddy I dont know any songs'' so he is ready to learn. He is 5. He needs a decent guitar.

I am thinking 3/4 , obviously heavy strings will be required for the shorter scale, fixed bridge, and something cool!

Ive been looking at things like these, any thoughts?

JACKSON Js 1X DINKY Minion 24 Frt, Ngr 885978956708 | eBay

Jackson JS 1X RR Minion, Metallic Blue Burst 885978956791 | eBay

Fender Squier Mini Jazzmaster HH Electric Guitar, Surf Green (NEW) | eBay

IBANEZ GRGM21M Blue Burst 4549763229885 | eBay

Keep in mind I need a guitar designed for small hands, not a travel guitar, I have my doubts about the Squier based on reviews I have seen.
I will also have to sell one of my guitars to fund this so it has to be right or I will be losing a guitar , have a 3/4 guitar and a wee boy who might lose interest if I get this wrong.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    edited May 2021
    Fixed bridge or fulcrum vibrato plus droopy headstock without string clampage is a recipe for tuning issues.

As discussed in a Bullet Mustang modding thread, the stock Squier bridge is a PITA. Budget to upgrade it.

IMO, of your shortlist, the Ibanez wins for having through body string anchoring. It also appears to have a five-way selector switch, offering the world's favourite humbucker and "Stratty" sounds. 

EDIT: Double check about the selector switch. The seller may have got this detail wrong. 

In the longer term, conversion to a Superswitch would deliver the five sounds of the Ibanez/DiMarzio circuit.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    Excellent suggestion, sir. 

Mikro guitars are one instance where a reversed headstock is a positive advantage. 

Other colour schemes might be more appealing. I would want a tone control.

Again, worth confirming whether the selector switch confirms to the familiar Ibanez/DiMarzio circuit that offers …

Bridge
    Inside Coils
    B + N
    N (coils wired in parallel)
    N (series)

… or Gilbert's Racer X period circuit (which is slightly different).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Both the Ibanez Mikros have the same switching options:

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3501
    To be fair guys, I dont think at 5 he wont be bothered too much about switching options, I think comfort to get his fingers around to the frets and tuning stability will be more important, weight also as he uses a strap but my guess is he will be sitting down at lessons, would large frets be a concern for little fingers?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    My Grandsons have Squier mini Strats. Both very good guitars in their own right.

I use 9 gauge strings on them.

Uncomplicated and decent. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    We bought our older son a 3/4 Strat when he was about 6 and he loved it. He’s since graduated onto a full size guitar and it’s sort of gathering dust waiting to see if our younger son wants to play, but it’s looking doubtful as he has a set of e drums.

They seem popular, and it was ideal for him to learn on. Much as he would’ve been over the moon with a Jackson or Ibanez, I wasn’t willing to take the punt for the extra cash. I’d definitely recommend the 3/4 Strat.

I am probably going to sell our one off soon actually as number two son is probably big enough to play a full size soon anyway.