Yet another "which pickup" thread...

geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
Apologies all for yet another thread asking for pickup recommendations!

You may have seen that I'm currently working on a PRS Custom 22 style build, featuring a swamp ash body, maple top, maple neck and rosewood fretboard.

I'm looking for a bridge and neck humbucker combination that can be nice and versatile.

Examples of artists I tend to cover are John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Guns N Roses, various pop punk bands, Alter Bridge, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Bring Me The Horizon, Periphery... So quite a wide tonal variety.

The guitar will tend to be in E standard/Drop D or down half a step, occasionally drop C.

I frequently use coil splits, so the nicer the split coil tone the better. Both pickups will have dedicated coil split switches so I can mix and match HH/HS/SH/SS configurations.

I enjoy a thick lead neck tone, hence the Liquifire...

In terms of rig, I use Bias FX 2.

Given the bases I'm trying to cover, I'm thinking a medium output humbucker set, as I can always tweak the rest of the rig to optimise for the more aggressive tones. The options I've considered so far within my budget of £200 for two humbuckers:

* Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB

* Oil City Scrap Yard Dog Plus, either both positions, or with a Black Knight in the bridge

* Ben Fletcher Pickups Purgatory

* Dimarzio Liquifire neck (which I actually bought on the forum a while ago), not sure what bridge pickup

* Bare Knuckle True Grit

* Bare Knuckle Brute Force

Thanks all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    The obvious partner for a DiMarzio Liquifier is their Crunch Lab model. 

All that ash and maple is going to make for a bright, "scooped" toned guitar. IMO, the last thing that needs is a scooped/clear pickup such as the SD SH-2N Jazz. 

The OCP SYD+ is indebted to the Duncan SH-4 JB. I would partner it with Ash's A4 magnet PAF-alike.

I do not know enough about the Ben Fletcher and BKP humbuckers to comment on them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    edited May 2021
    I'd happily recommend the Oil City Scrapyard dog. I have one in the neck of one of my Les Pauls and a scrapyard dog plus in the bridge of my other one. The plus is probably my favourite bridge pickup I've ever tried. Clear and punchy 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2021
    Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells. Fat, yet brimming with clarity and coil tap really well. I’d also suggest you check out the PRS M  \m/ in the bridge position. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    If you like thick neck pickup lead , like me,  I suggest getting same resistance pups for bridge and neck to avoid big volume and clarity shifts switching been them. 

I actually love the gibson 61t and 61r set.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Wholeheartedly recommend the Oil City Scrapyard Dog +. I have them in two guitars and they're my favourite humbuckers.

If you decide on the SD JB/Jazz combo, let me know. I have a set in my parts drawer and can do you a good deal.
  • geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
    Thanks all for your feedback. I also realised there’s Creamery and Alegree! So much choice...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Mojo... really nice pickups.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    edited May 2021
    I have a dimarzio titan in a neck I also recommend that.
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Your down the rabbit hole, there are some great sets in your list. Just commit, if you never a/b you will never know. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My PRS currently sports a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge with an A5 magnet so effectively a custom 5 and a Gibson Burstbucker 61 in the neck with a short legged baseplate fitted.
    Both have partial splits voicing the screw coils, and the neck in particular sounds really good especially with Klon style drive.