PRS - DGT, What strings are you using?

What's Hot
icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
So these guitars come fitted with 11-45, I am wondering if moving to 10’s or 9’s makes much of a tonal difference ( brighter perhaps) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    I use 9s on everything, including 2 DGTs I owned.  I had no problems.  Both played and sounded great.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    11s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Everyone knows 'tone is in your bank balance' so don't worry about it...  ;)

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    11s the guitar suits them. They don't feel like 11s, I've got 11s on the ce24 and wish I'd kept it with 10s.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    My new DGT arrived today and I knew they would arrive with11’s and it sounds great (Through a Brunetti  Pleximan) but I’m so used to 9’s the strings feel like cables :) 

• dcgdcg Frets: 230
    After 4 DGTs (although no more than two at a time; that would be greedy), I've moved to 11-49 Elixirs on my other guitars (two Teles, and an R8).  The benefits in tone and stability - especially with chords - outweighed my initial concern that I couldn't bend the G up a tone.  Honestly, I think it's worth persisting with the factory 11s on your DGT; Grissom seems to do OK with them...
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I played mine with 11's for ages and could cope no problem but have 10s on other guitars.  I found it odd changing between guitars where the 10s felt really light and I would overbend and slide off the edge of the fingerboard.
    I tried 10's on the DGT and love it just as much so they have stayed.  Very easy to change. The springs will need tightened slightly and the truss rod adjusted (tightened I think).

Grissom anchors his thumb over the top of the fingerboard and can get lots of leverage. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Had 11s on mine, went to 10s, back to 11s again since I’ve started using a much heavier pick. Being really able to dig in on the thicker strings whilst the guitar being so well put together they don’t feel too stiff is fantastic. Really works.

I’m not sure if I’m an oddity but I feel that different gauges suit different guitars of mine, rather than maybe when I was younger and would stick to the old 9s on strats, 10s on LPs or some arbitrary rule.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    10-46 - then again l use 9-42s on my Strat, so I’m a wimp….
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    They are a slightly shorter scale than a strat so 11s feel like 10s on a fender.

They also have massive frets which makes it a bit easier.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Ordinarily, I use 9.5s but when I got my DGT with 11s, it felt right. Obviously, there was a bit more fight but I got use to it very quickly and stuck with it. Monquixote sums it up.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    NYXL 10-46 on all my McCartys.  They feel a bit odd when brand new but settle down after 3 or 4 hours playing and last for ages with a lovely feel and tone.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I’ll certainly give the 11’s a go, and see if my muscles can cope
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3246
    Enjoyed 11s but it still felt a bit heavy after a few months...moved to 10-46 (with a tiny adjustment of the claw screws) and I don't think anything was lost.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    When you get to my age it’s 9-46 on everything, sometimes I swap the high E for a 10, but now my hearings going, I’m not sure if that makes any difference.