ESP Ltd KH-602... or???

What's Hot
notsopronotsopro Frets: 231
So looking for some advise really, I'm looking to get a high output type guitar to fulfill my more metal needs. I've noticed Peach have the KH-602 in stock, which being a Metallica fan I was kind of drawn to, I've done a bit of reading, and whilst i'm not sure I'd really use a Floyd rose, but equally I'm not 'against' getting one. I've had a look and also quite like some of the schecter omen series, but have heard bad things about the cheaper floyd systems etc. So if anyone more knowledgeable than myself, or has bought something of this nature recently could share some wisdom. I'm all ears, cheers in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited May 2021
    The kh-602 looks great but if it was me I’d go for a used Japanese Horizon for about the same sort of money

no affiliation, just an example 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154253824966?hash=item23ea3e93c6:g:AjwAAOSwH-Bf32-S

or maybe an older used Charvel or Jackson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Im generally a fan of Esp/Ltd and like the Kh models, but personally I would get a regular production model something, purely because the Kh models are Pau Ferro and I much prefer Ebony.

Kh models do come with a case though so thats £180 odd of the price.

Other 1000 series Ltd production models can be had new from dealers  for around £899-1100 ish. No case but same or higher spec. 

Not sure if the kh602 being a 602 is lower in the order than a 1000, as the specs do seem quite similar. 

I’m sure it would be a grand guitar though man.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    For that sort of money you could get a used Standard/EII Horizon or MII (which I believe the KH is based on). If you're patient you could get one cheaper in fact.

Not that the Ltd KH will be bad by any stretch. But the Japanese ESPs are incredibly good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 231
    Thanks for the input so far, kinda the comments I was expecting.. I've had a look at some of the higher 2nd hand models and do seem to get a fair bit more for the money there. 

If I was to go with something cheaper such as a schecter demon 6. https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SchecterDemon-6-FR-Satin-Black/2SG0?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg4HITJFzHz0ErryFDsNELGYbT9H0LSjWE9QTgkQ9M8VAHrP3AnXe6BoCzMwQAvD_BwE ;

is this something a newer player like myself would notice a huge difference with, or is the old buy cheap buy twice rule going to apply? 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited May 2021
    notsopro said:
    Thanks for the input so far, kinda the comments I was expecting.. I've had a look at some of the higher 2nd hand models and do seem to get a fair bit more for the money there. 

If I was to go with something cheaper such as a schecter demon 6. https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SchecterDemon-6-FR-Satin-Black/2SG0?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg4HITJFzHz0ErryFDsNELGYbT9H0LSjWE9QTgkQ9M8VAHrP3AnXe6BoCzMwQAvD_BwE ;

is this something a newer player like myself would notice a huge difference with, or is the old buy cheap buy twice rule going to apply? 
    Depends, if it were me I would spend £300 more (the cost of just the pickups and bridge here) and get this: 
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/esp-ltd-mh-1000hs-qm-black-cherry-fade

Its a 1000 series Ltd so should be equal to or greater than the Kh but its a huge step up from the Schecter. 
    Has an ebony board, a floyd 1000 special edition trem and proper Seymour Duncans, thru neck, mahogany body and grover tuners etc. 

Downside is it doesnt have a neck humbucker if you really need one. I only use neck pups for clean anyway so for me it wouldnt matter lolz

Schecter could be great for £500 but the trem being a ‘special’ is basically the lower end Floyd, which may not be as solid or long lasting as the 1000 Floyds, and the pickups are Designed by Seymour Duncan, not Usa duncans. Its generally made from woods found on cheaper guitars, Basswood and is a bolt on. Again many high end guitars are bolt on and made of Basswood though. 

Saying that, that Schecter is basically the same spec as the Kh-202 which I used to have yonks ago, except the Kh-202 has passive or always used to have passive pickups. 

I think unless the Floyd is really bad, especially starting out, the Schecter seems ok but if you have the cash to spend and can afford it you could get a tonne more for £300 extra and potentially not want in future.

Heres some equivalent to the Kh Ltd hardtails: 

https://www.peachguitars.com/esp-ltd-h-1001-qm-see-thru-black.htm

https://www.peachguitars.com/esp-ltd-h-1001-qm-see-thru-black-cherry.htm

Obviously those have passive pickups where the Schecter and Kh have active, and a hard tail bridge over a Floyd. 

SCRELICS on here selling an Ltd M1 which is only a year old or so. Thats got a floyd but only 1 pickup though. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Agree with everything @skunkwerx said. I’d definitely go LTD over the lower range schecter, the one he posted a link to on offer in Andertons is a beaut!
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3452
    Lots of good advice. Generally for a Floyd you want at least the FR 1000. The Special will likely give you issues at some point, and will be an extra cost for you. If you can't afford a guitar w/ the FR 1000 or better, then better to go hardtail. Some guitarists regardless of skill never find a use or need for a vibrato bridge, by the way. You might be one of them.