Sharp bridge thumbwheel stud - PRS

fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
edited May 2021 in Guitar
The top of the thumbwheel stud that comes proud of the TOM bridge when you have nice low action can be a little sharp on some guitars.   It was uncomfortably sharp on my Gordon Smith gs2 and is a tiny bit sharp in my prs 594 which can chaff the soft edge of my palm.  On my gibson sg it's a much better design and very smooth with no sharpness. 

Anytime else find this? 

What's the recommended way to fix this? .  

File the thumbwheel stud end 
Sand it
Stick a blob of glue on it
Replace the bridge and thumbwheel
Sell the guitar
Never palm mute near the bridge again
Give up guitar forevermore
Wear gloves

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    @JerkMoans if that was meant to be a picture of some boobs, please can you repost it as its not working.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    I don't know the answer - give up guitar forevermore, probably - but I'm genuinely surprised there's a sharp bit on the PRS 594.  I thought they'd have made everything super smooth and ironed out every flaw, like they usually do.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    Well it's not sharp as such,  just not as soft n smooth as it could be with a better design. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    I use a fine emery paper (or a fine nail file thing ) to take the edge off stuff like that. Works well on the protruding grub screws on most fenders as well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader
    The solution is to screw the stud deeper into the body so that it's level with or just below the top of the bridge.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    They shouldn’t stick up above the top of the bridge - if they do, the posts are too high out of the body. Sometimes they’re just not screwed in as far as they will go - you can drive them in further by taking the bridge off, and using both thumbwheels on the same post locked together. If they won’t go in further you will have to either drill the hole in the body deeper or cut the post down - at the *bottom* end so you retain the plated end at the top.

It’s a bit of a faff but worth doing. I am quite surprised it’s like that on a PRS though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein