Don't want to lug heavy cabs around anymore? Captor X...

BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
edited May 2021 in Amps
I recently bought a Two Notes Captor X from this fine forum (thanks Jim  ) and despite only having a limited play through it think it's a great sounding and really clever/ useful bit of kit.
I'd already tried to "lighten the load" by switching to a couple of Bluguitar Nanocabs but the Captor X could allow me to go cabless at rehearsals/ gigs.
I have been trying it at home running my Mesa Transatlantic through it and then a cable from the headphone out of the Captor into a pair of iloud micro monitors and it sounds great. I can wind the amp up and easily control volume from the front of the Two Notes. I'm sure it will work just as well the other way - making the amp louder than it could be on it's own. The ability to easily change cabs is brilliant and your choice of cab/speaker has as dramatic an effect on your tone as it does in the real world.
The fact that I can add reverb in the Two Notes is really handy too.
I'm sure these are popular for home recording/ bedroom headphone practice,  but i can see this being really useful as a live tool.

If i can work out how to run a delay pedal between the Captor X and the PA, that'll be the icing on the cake.

What a terrific little box.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Wouldn't you just run the delay in your FX loop as normal?

I thought the Captor X is essentially a dummy speaker load?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited May 2021
    @welshboyo, 2 of my amps don't have fx loops.
    The Captor X is capable of much more than just being a dummy load as it also can run the Two Notes virtual cabs or regular IR's. It also has some built in effects such as reverb, double tracking sim and eq which really expands its usefulness as all of that is applied (if you want it to be) to the signal coming from the "speaker out" jack on the amp, ie.  post pre AND power amp. Being able to apply delay as well would be the icing on the cake. I guess an XLR -> 1/4 jack cable would be worth a try..
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    How are you getting on with the Captor X? I’m thinking of running my amp into this and through either monitors or headphones instead of buying a desktop style amp.
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited May 2021
    keir said:
    How are you getting on with the Captor X? I’m thinking of running my amp into this and through either monitors or headphones instead of buying a desktop style amp.
    Still early days but I'm really pleased with it so far. I've been running my Mesa Transatlantic head through it and then into some iloud micro monitors and it sounds fine to me.
    I particularly like the fact I can add some reverb from the Captor X so don't need to get the pedalboard out for some quick practice. There's no way I could get to break-up volume on the Mesa's non-master setting at home going through a regular cab so using the Captor X in lieu of a cab works for me.
    Haven't got around to trying the attenuator settings yet but so far, I haven't had the need to. 
    Based on experience so far, I think it's a great bit of kit.