Entry point for a good telecaster

What's Hot
derndern Frets: 357
Long time since I've been on here so hello.

I sold all my teles ages ago and miss them. I haven't really kept up with what's available so does anyone have any recommendations for an entry level working telecaster. I don't want it to be 'flash' and I don't care about brands, I just want it to play very nicely.

Bit vague but thanks for any recommendations :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Squier classic vibe telecaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Squier classic vibe telecaster
    Yup

Also consider Vintage v52 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    edited May 2021
    The squire classic vibes are still considered good quality guitars? I played one ages ago and it was really nice but at the last minute went for a MIJ one.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Kelly. A great Tele for reasonable money. Way better than MIM Fender. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited May 2021
    For an entry level, I think they are great.

The next jump up personally I would go to a roadworn, after than I would go straight to Custom Shop skipping the MIJ/USA production guitars totally.  But that's just me.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    Second hand G and L asat or classic vibe. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    The thing about Classic Vibe is that they have very skinny necks which isn't really what a Tele is about for me though they are very good guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    The Fret King Country Squire is worth a look, good quality at a reasonable price.
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. The Kellys look really interesting.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The thing about Classic Vibe is that they have very skinny necks which isn't really what a Tele is about for me though they are very good guitars.
    It’s very much horses for courses. I wouldn’t describe the neck as skinny at all. But that’s me. Do try if you can. 
    tFB Trader
    Redlester said:
    It’s very much horses for courses. I wouldn’t describe the neck as skinny at all. But that’s me. Do try if you can. 

It's pretty much true of all of the Classic Vibe range and indeed Squires in general the neck profiles tend to be designed with beginners in mind and as such tend to be considerably smaller than a Fender modern C.

If you go for something like a 50's Tele the difference in neck profile between a CV vs a Baja / AO / AVRI is massive.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I just see it as a nice, well-proportioned neck. The lacquered board on my CV 50s is a boon to me too. Slick would be my word. 

I’ll try and remember this next time I’m in a shop and compare. Neck feel is probably in my top 3 factors of whether I buy or not. Never played a 50sRI

The neck profile I quite like is the Clapton Strat. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Squier CVs are great value, as are the Vintage V52/62 - in my experience they have slightly fatter necks than the CV (which I don't think are much skinnier than the usual Fender Modern C shape, but that may well be a personal thing).

Vintera / Baja 50s have the chunky 50s necks which I love, but they are a fair bit more cash and I always feel that a Tele is basically a chopping board with strings, so I wince a bit if spending a lot on them!  However, the neck is the most important bit for me, so if you've the budget I'd definitely try out a few. I also prefer the ashtray bridge / 3 saddles etc. which you don't get on some of the Fender range. 
    tFB Trader
    The other thing I'd mention about a classic vibe is that when I gigged one the jack socket fell out, the plating wore through on the bridge, the pots and switches got crackley and needed to be replaced.

An American strat gigged much harder still looked basically new.
    I like this a lot... https://www.guitar.co.uk/michael-kelly-1953-guitar-blue-jean-wash-maple-fretboard

Not traditional but I like the body sculpting.