2»

Comments

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 424
    Nice review.  Congrats on a great Amp.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    How interesting...

I tried one a while back and absolutely hated it. To me, it wasn't versatile as it had only one, very distinctive and not good tone. I couldn't dial out the nasty grating upper-mid/top-end tone it had - and I agree with the comments about the tight bottom-end, but unfortunately I can't stand that either! I love reverb and tremolo but even that couldn't make me like it. Easily the worst expensive amp I've ever tried, for my taste.

This is why there is more than one type of amp though :). I bet you'd hate the ones I love.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 424
    Wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing........very boring  :)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    ICBM said:
    How interesting...

I tried one a while back and absolutely hated it. To me, it wasn't versatile as it had only one, very distinctive and not good tone. I couldn't dial out the nasty grating upper-mid/top-end tone it had - and I agree with the comments about the tight bottom-end, but unfortunately I can't stand that either! I love reverb and tremolo but even that couldn't make me like it. Easily the worst expensive amp I've ever tried, for my taste.

This is why there is more than one type of amp though :). I bet you'd hate the ones I love.
    I was listening to most of that from downstairs in the dining room, and yes it really did seem to do pretty much everything Matthew says it did, and yes, it really did sound very, very nice indeed. 

My suggestion that he should lend it to me for last night's gig in The Skinners Arms was met with exactly the sort of reaction you'd expect when someone suggests they take your newly aquired, horribly expensive, uber-boutique amp to a dodgy pub in East Anglia and hack out dodgy rock covers at ear splitting volume... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    ICBM said:
    How interesting...

I can definitely see where you're coming from, i plugged this in with a Cabronita today and found it just too much in the top end and unfortunately (or fortunately as this will undoubtedly prevent a retail accident) it had no tone control to back off so i ended going back to my Telecaster.
    The amp is incredibly sensitive to what is ran into it, i feel that like the cabronita a strat would have too much top end that would have to be dialed out by the same token a les Paul custom would undoubtedly have too much bottom end and produce a very dull sound that would be entirely overpowered by its bass.
    This has made me paranoid about plugging in my SG as i'm afraid i may hate it :/
    But on the bright side this and my PRS (SC245 with Suhr Aldrich pups) seem to have been made for each over