Delay Pedal Fault

What's Hot
SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667

I've just been rejigging my pedalboard and now I can't power my Mad Professor delay pedal via my power supply. It still works fine with a battery but nothing via the 9v input. What a pain in the arse.

Just wondering whether it's worth the cost of repairing it or less hassle to invest in a Gigrig virtual battery (assuming that would save the day)??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Repair it. Most likely a dry solder joint on one of the 9v connector pins. Dab with a soldering iron and you should be good to go.
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 145
    Or the switching on the input jack.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I'd send an email to mad prof they have great customer service and I'd put money on them offering a free fix
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667
    Cheers fellas. I will have a look at it over the weekend.
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 145
    I'm not thinking straight, the input jack is fine if the battery works.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    marauder said:
    I'm not thinking straight, the input jack is fine if the battery works.
    Not if it's the negative connection that's broken. In fact that's one of the only possibilities, unless there is a protection diode which only applies to the jack and not the battery.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 11043
    Yep could be a blown diode, I've had that one 2 boss pedals, an mt2 and a ds1
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

Drama seems to be over. I've had a poke around inside, moved a few wires around before reconnecting it to a power source and hey presto, all lit up like a Christmas tree.

Thanks for all your input. I'm now walking away rather embarrassed........

:\">
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SidNewton said:

Drama seems to be over. I've had a poke around inside, moved a few wires around before reconnecting it to a power source and hey presto, all lit up like a Christmas tree.

You've just disturbed a loose connection somewhere and it will come back at the least convenient possible moment. I would find the fault and fix it properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

No doubt you're right. I'm sure I just moved a wire sufficiently to resolve the problem for now. I'll have a more thorough look over the next couple of days.
    The worst one is when it's a job for a customer. You move something and the fault goes away, and no matter how much you poke and prod you can't get it to come back. (Probably because moving it has scraped off the tiny oxide layer that was causing the bad contact.) So after spending far too much time on it, you give up, charge the guy the minimum bench fee and hope for the best. Then two months and 29 days later it shows up with exactly the same fault and the customer wanting it fixed under guarantee...