A visit to Coda + new guitar

What's Hot
AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 989

Made my first ever visit to Coda this week and I’m happy to report it was an excellent experience. I wanted to check out their selection of K Line guitars, which I was eager to try having just sold my CS Tele and having some funds to spend.

I’d been eying up a lovely looking black San Bernadino (offset Jazzmaster type shape) with Bigsby on their website for a few weeks. However, although it looked and sounded great, I just didn’t hit it off with the neck – perhaps a bit on the fat side for me. So I then tried a Springfield (Strat shape) and that felt terrific to play - the tone was superb too. But then I picked up a blonde Truxton and I knew straight away that I’m still a Tele guy. Fabulous sounding guitar and it just seemed so natural and intuitive to play.  

Everyone at Coda was friendly and accommodating and were happy for me to try out any of the guitars on sale and recommended some. I tried my first PRS (very impressive quality guitar, just not my cup of tea), a tempting Gibson SG with P90s in TV Yellow and a Murphy Lab LP Special.

But in the end, I just had to go with the K Line Truxton. It’s not the most glamourous guitar but boy it’s got some tone and plays like a dream. I also got a nice discount off the list price with just a polite enquiry.

I have to recommend the Coda experience and would definitely go back even though it’s a bit of a schlep for me.

1reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZappleZapple Frets: 96
    Nice guitar! Coda is my first stop always. Great shop and great team.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5460
    Great buy congrats
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5595
    I was eyeing that up for months on their site. Thanks for taking care of that for me! Congrats!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2481
    Sweet Tele! As a Tele guy I get it.  Thanks for report on Coda as I’ve never been there. 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    That’s good to know. I have a guitar due at Peach anytime soon so was thinking of a road trip to collect and check out both Peach and Coda to try some guitars and amps. Quite a drive from Lancashire though.
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    I bought a ‘63 reissue es-335 lefty on my first trip.
    Good experience all round

• *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 82
    Nice guitar mate....enjoy.
    I would love one of those yellow SG's.
    I second the recommendation for Coda. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1501
    Excellent choice, I seem to forget about K Line guitars, remember when they first came out, the S and T ones I tried were excellent. Are they still using Lollar and Klein pickups?
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 366
    Have to say, I love that. HNGD. :-)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5595
    photek said:
    Excellent choice, I seem to forget about K Line guitars, remember when they first came out, the S and T ones I tried were excellent. Are they still using Lollar and Klein pickups?
    He winds his own now and they are seriously excellent. Took his time to get it right and it paid off.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 380
    Christ, that’s nice. Congrats! 

I seriously don’t need gas at the moment and I already have a smashin’ nice rosewood tele but, damn, I could go for that. Dibs! 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5615
    russpm said:
    That’s good to know. I have a guitar due at Peach anytime soon so was thinking of a road trip to collect and check out both Peach and Coda to try some guitars and amps. Quite a drive from Lancashire though.

Be aware that Peach and Coda are a good hour and a half away from each other if you're hoping to catch both in one day and go back up home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    Snags said:
    russpm said:

Be aware that Peach and Coda are a good hour and a half away from each other if you're hoping to catch both in one day and go back up home.
    Thanks man. Yes I’ve looked at the route and it’s a full day trip but will hopefully scratch a lot of itches!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4066
    Ooh, nice score. Love a trip to Coda - it's never good for the wallet though! Sounds like you did the right thing and didn't have a play on a Novo. Very dangerous!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4937
    edited May 2021
    A new guitar?!?!  @AlbertC I think they've done you, and saw you coming mate ....that ones all old and bashed up! bumpbump

Seriously, enjoy -  HNGD aokbeer
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 989
    Lebarque said:
    Sounds like you did the right thing and didn't have a play on a Novo. Very dangerous!
    I almost tried a Novo, but TBH I wasn't crazy about the looks of what they had

Voxman said:
    A new guitar?!?!  @AlbertC I think they've done you, and saw you coming mate ....that ones all old and bashed up! 
    ah, maybe that's why I got the discount  ;)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3870
    That's killer! 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1161
    OP's post is the best thing I've read for a long time - simply because it shows the importance of brick and mortar guitar shops. There is nothing more important than actually going and trying out guitars. Every guitar will feel different to every person who tries it. Very jealous @AlbertC but very happy you found your guitar!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 265
    I’m lucky enough to live less than 10 minutes walk from Coda!
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1641
    Habanero said:
    I’m lucky enough to live less than 10 minutes walk from Coda!
    That’s an odd one.

Does that mean -

1. you are matey with them, in all the time testing out gear and shooting the breeze ?

2. you are in all the time and now hideously in debt ?

3. you are in all the time testing out gear but cannot afford anything so rarely buy ?

4. you are the epitome of restraint and pop in on occasion, buying every now and then - a model ‘regular’ customer ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom