Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Trent Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1732
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    My current personal model 1,

It's actually made up of a body that was slightly too heavy for my liking so took the opportunity to update my early prototype

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    My favourite colour so far  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 294
    I love the clean lines and shape of this and it looks superb in the dark yellow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23486
    edited July 2021
    I've really enjoyed reading both this thread and the @TrentGuitars build thread, it's great to see a couple of threads on here which are so overwhelmingly positive, but at the risk of burning burned at the stake can I say something just a little critical...?

Might the Trent headstock decal look better with a black outline?  On the natural headstocks, and on some of the colours like yellow or pink, the all-gold decal seems to "disappear" in some pictures.

tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I've really enjoyed reading both this thread and the @TrentGuitars build thread, it's great to see a couple of threads on here which are so overwhelmingly positive, but at the risk of burning burned at the stake can I say something just a little critical...?

Might the Trent headstock decal look better with a black outline?  On the natural headstocks, and on some of the colours like yellow or pink, the all-gold decal seems to "disappear" in some pictures.

Cristism is always welcome!

I certainly can see where you are coming from and something is very hard to convey in the pictures is that the decal is actually metallic. So in other lighting it shows up quite solidly against the background (as per the portrait pic) and in others it can fade into it. 

I could do it with a black outline mind! I could even pinstripe it, I’ll certainly will do some experimenting and get back to you!
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    There's a nice double-pager on Trent Guitars in the September issue of The Guitar comic, available now in all some good newsagents
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    khaotic said:
    There's a nice double-pager on Trent Guitars in the September issue of The Guitar comic, available now in all some good newsagents
    Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea, I’ll pop in somewhere and pick one up!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Evening all!

Just thought I'd draw attention to the fact on this main thread that I've now added a bunch of customisation to the main Model 1 page,

You can now order it in several different configs on the website, I've added the option to have any kind of pickup from the Old Guard range - that's tele, humbucker or P90 in any config you fancy. You can also now choose in addition to the standard hardtail a wraparound bridge, tele bridge, Descendant vibrato with TOM bridge or a Hipshot trem. 

Once you've selected these options that have price implications you can then 'configure' your Model 1 by changing the body colour, type of paint finish, headstock colour, scale length, fretboard radius, pickguard material, plastics colour and handedness.

I've also added the option on the Model 1 debut page to specify a single pickup guitar.

Hope this all makes sense and benefits you guys who might be interested, thanks!

This is an example of a Model 1 Custom I've made, it's a 24 inch scale with a tele pickup in the bridge and an upgraded neck pickup. Also has the open pore satin finish.

Thanks guys!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    khaotic said:
    Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea, I’ll pop in somewhere and pick one up!
    Yip just seen it and was about to add it to this thread, it’s the only bit I’ve read - so far - and yes it is a very good double pager. 
    tFB Trader
    So this thread certainly gets the most eyes!

Here's another one I've just finished up for Steve Fox-Harris of Gary Numan's band. Fully one of the nicest blokes I've met!

We've gone for a mega chunky 25.4mm at 1st and 12th carve, open pore finish Obeche body making this come in bang on 7lbs, P90 in the neck and a coil splitting HB in the bridge. It's a toggle switch between the knobs to split them as Steve commented in the real world scenarios of sweaty gigging the pot switches can be a nightmare. 

It was due to go on tour with him in the US/Canada this month but unfortunately it has been postponed due to C19, thankfully it will eventually make it on tour which I'm majorly excited for,

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep that’s very nice, extremely close to what I’d choose spec wise 
  • That’s lovely!
  • What are the pickups Elliott?
    tFB Trader
    TADodger said:
    What are the pickups Elliott?
    IG Platinum 90 in the neck and IG Rolling Mill in the neck

• That's great news Elliott - you must be thrilled to have your product going to the US with such an endorsement.

I have to say I love following the @TrentGuitars thread(s). It is like the diary of a guitar builder/enthusiast/growing business all rolled into one and given to us before the wider world.

Thank you !!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    The neck spec on that sounds perfect 
    tFB Trader

That's great news Elliott - you must be thrilled to have your product going to the US with such an endorsement.

I have to say I love following the @TrentGuitars thread(s). It is like the diary of a guitar builder/enthusiast/growing business all rolled into one and given to us before the wider world.

Thank you !!
    Thank you so much! That really means a lot, I really believe craft should be shared, it shouldn't just die with people holding cards too close!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So here's something a little more transparent than you'd expect from a business,

I'm struggling to get sales off the ground! I'll be honest I'm a hair disheartened given I've had so much good press recently with universal praise and lots of people saying what a great buy it is etc. I've had a lot of website traffic given that I've been tweeted out by Gary Numan and also the Guitar Nerds have been raving about the one I had sent them to try out.

I really thought that £1000 price point would really open things up and I do understand there's a degree of patience required but I was curious to see what you guys might think is holding people back? Is it a sign of the times? I think I've past the initial 'proven' bar of it actually being a decent guitar to buy given how many I've fulfilled now.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have as potential customers.
  • I honestly think it’s a sign of the times.  I am personally finding things very tough out there at the moment.  The cost of living is rising, salaries/wages are falling as companies dealing with the pandemic adapt to new spending habits or lack there of and we now have an energy crisis where the cost to heat your house or have hot water has rocketed.

I still believe your pieces of work have been exceptional and are still very much on my want list and I think the price of your entry level model is extremely competitive when you look at what is available mass market and mass produced for that price.  A handmade guitar for £1000?? Amazing!  I think peoples funds are potentially just being hit by unforeseen circumstance, but also could be a touch of really not knowing what the future holds.  

I for one really hope (and believe) the future is bright for you, Elliott.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17799
    edited September 2021 tFB Trader
    So here's something a little more transparent than you'd expect from a business,

I'm struggling to get sales off the ground! I'll be honest I'm a hair disheartened given I've had so much good press recently with universal praise and lots of people saying what a great buy it is etc. I've had a lot of website traffic given that I've been tweeted out by Gary Numan and also the Guitar Nerds have been raving about the one I had sent them to try out.

I really thought that £1000 price point would really open things up and I do understand there's a degree of patience required but I was curious to see what you guys might think is holding people back? Is it a sign of the times? I think I've past the initial 'proven' bar of it actually being a decent guitar to buy given how many I've fulfilled now.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have as potential customers.

Having played one they are excellent and clearly worth the money and if I had any interest in owning more guitars I'd buy one.

If I had to guess why you are having problems (and it does suprise me) it would be because of the classic thing where everyone whinges that all custom guitar companies just make expensive Strats and Teles and yet when anyone makes an interesting shape it doesn't sell.

I'd be interested what would happen if you offered a Tele shape although I appreciate it would be boring (not suggesting you actually do this though)