What nylon, Classical guitar strings?

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
My Alvarez CC7 needs a new set of strings, possibly medium tension (?) but apart from using D'Addario Pro Arte and Savarez brands back in my guitar shop days, I know pretty much nothing now. What's around, decent value and above all, recommended round these parts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    I'm surprised that nothing came up with the excellent embedded search facility :lol:

This thread may help https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/198122/classical-strings#latest

FWIW I've got a set of Savarez on at the moment. I like the sound but there's a bit of what can best be described as "rustling" when I pluck the strings. Which may be down to my poor technique....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    drofluf said:
    I'm surprised that nothing came up with the excellent embedded search facility :lol:

This thread may help https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/198122/classical-strings#latest

FWIW I've got a set of Savarez on at the moment. I like the sound but there's a bit of what can best be described as "rustling" when I pluck the strings. Which may be down to my poor technique....
    Thanks for the link, plenty to consider there. May give the La Bella 820s a go?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    I moved from Savarez Alliance to the D'addario carbon hard tension. Both sets are good, though. 
  • m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
    I'm a big fan of Recital strings. If I can't get those, then pretty much variations on D'Addario pro arte
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    m0rt said:
    I'm a big fan of Recital strings. If I can't get those, then pretty much variations on D'Addario pro arte
    Do you mean Royal Classic Recital? I've never heard of these before but they get good reviews on Amazon.

My current favourites are Savarez Cristal Cantiga Premium.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Another Savarez user here. Hannabach strings are also very good. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Very useful guys, thanks

So far these are recommended:
    Savarez Alliance
    Savarez Cristals
    Hannabach
    D'addario Pro Arte
    D'addario Carbon
    Royal Classic Recital
    La Bella 820

I've ordered a set of the La Bella 820s, so I'll see how I get on with those.

• m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
    GTC said:
    m0rt said:
    Do you mean Royal Classic Recital? I've never heard of these before but they get good reviews on Amazon.

My current favourites are Savarez Cristal Cantiga Premium.
    That is the ones. I was original recommended them by my classic guitar teacher...they take a while to settle but so worth it. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    A recent discovery of mine - Knobloch Actives. The carbon trebles have a much warmer sound than other carbon sets I've previously used and the basses are full and rounded.

I tried a medium high tension set on my China-made imitation Smallman (lattice-braced cedar top with double-layer domed back) after reading that these were the strings that Hanika use on their Professional and Concert ranges.

The guitar originally came with Savarez Alliance HT Classic (Mixed Tension) which resulted in overly bright trebles and booming basses. I'd previously tried various standard nylon sets but this has resulted in some imbalance and weakness on the upper trebles.

Both the booming and the treble over-brightness / weakness have been corrected with the Knobloch strings and the guitar now sounds far better than I previously would have thought possible. They feel very nice under the fingers too.
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    Knobloch are a step above in my opinion,
    particularly the Q.Z. nylon set,
    when not available I’d use Savarez Corum Cristal,
    I will be trying Luthier strings soon, they are back in the business,