Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Trent Guitars - From the Workshop

What's Hot

Comments

• TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    @TrentGuitars I love the look, craftsmanship and ethos behind your guitars. As someone who works in copywriting/branding etc., I wonder whether you could play on the environmentally-friendly /sustainable angle more? It's certainly something the chaps on here (including me) love.

Given that your finishes are water-based and you're near the coast, maybe your models/colours could be things like 'tide', 'wave', 'marine', 'float', 'Solent', 'shore' etc. I know another company has done surf green, shell pink etc., but you know what I mean.

The water-based finish is a real USP and it would be good to play on it IMO. Just some thoughts from a fellow-fretboarder who would love to see you do well.

Heck, even the Trent is a river!
    Love your thoughts there and really appreciate the kind words!

Yeah, that's one of the main bits of feedback I've had, people love the water-based! 

Some great ideas there, I'll certainly be in touch when I'm developing more :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3866
    edited August 2021
    Lebarque said:
    @TrentGuitars I love the look, craftsmanship and ethos behind your guitars. As someone who works in copywriting/branding etc., I wonder whether you could play on the environmentally-friendly /sustainable angle more? It's certainly something the chaps on here (including me) love.

Given that your finishes are water-based and you're near the coast, maybe your models/colours could be things like 'tide', 'wave', 'marine', 'float', 'Solent', 'shore' etc. I know another company has done surf green, shell pink etc., but you know what I mean.

The water-based finish is a real USP and it would be good to play on it IMO. Just some thoughts from a fellow-fretboarder who would love to see you do well.

Heck, even the Trent is a river!
    Love your thoughts there and really appreciate the kind words!

Yeah, that's one of the main bits of feedback I've had, people love the water-based! 

Some great ideas there, I'll certainly be in touch when I'm developing more :-)
    You're welcome. I'd be happy to help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 361
    Just spotted this in my news feed: https://guitar.com/features/opinion-analysis/confessions-of-a-hopeless-guitarist-a-visit-to-the-clinic/ 
    No mention of Trent Guitars in the article though. I assume they must have one in for review or something.
    tFB Trader
    donbot said:
    Just spotted this in my news feed: https://guitar.com/features/opinion-analysis/confessions-of-a-hopeless-guitarist-a-visit-to-the-clinic/ 
    No mention of Trent Guitars in the article though. I assume they must have one in for review or something.
    Yeah a friend linked that to me, they don’t currently have one of mine in. That’s one of my images I sent in for my feature, I think there might be some confusion and they think it’s one they took themselves. I’m ok with it though, I don’t want to kick up a fuss!
    tFB Trader
    Fretwork today!

So I recently switched back over to 3M blue tape, its as thick as the frog stuff but doesnt come in the stupid plastic packaging (what are they thinking)

First job, set the board flat with the notched straight edge

Next step, tape up the board nice and clean, you'd be suprised how quick you get at doing this after a while

I then introduce the slight chamfer onto the fret ends, the main thing here is to not go crazy, you dont want to lose playing surface

I then break out the sharpie, mark the frets, then begin levelling, I use 400 grit on a levelling beam. The key here is to not apply a lot of pressure, you do not want to be putting deflection into the neck. It really doesn't take a lot to level them.

One all the sharpie is uniformly removed - which doesnt take long, I check the whole job for rocks. I then add a slight amount of fallaway in the higher frets to allow for a really low action if people are looking for that.

It's then a case of adding sharpie again to the frets and using the crowning file to establish the crown again. I really can't over emphasise how amazing the Stewmac z-file is. There are so many reasons why its so great, the main ones being that it's diamond so not only cuts quicker but also leaves a finer surface than a traditional tool steel file. It's also completely foolproof, you can be having a bad day and still get great results due to its design. You don't end up with those crazy harsh pyarmids that you see from triangular files in a less experienced hand due to the way you can rock it back and left and right as you go and not worry about taking the top off.

We are looking for that nice thin line of sharpie left, perfect.

I check my work again at this point with the rocker, I do a total of 3 checks on a fret job - once after levelling, once after crowning and lastly after sanding (before polish).

I lightly easy the edges with a end file, it only takes a couple swipes, its all about retstraint here.

Now it's time to bring the frets back up to a beautiful finish. I being with 400 grit and first sand along the length of the fret to remove the scratch marks from the file, I then hold paper loosely and work over the board across to begin the sanding up to 1200 grit.

https://i.ibb.co/gZ7yRS5/7-F204793-D44-F-43-E2-9829-060-C737-C66-AE.jpg

I check my work again for the last time with a rocker, and then procede to polish the frets with a dremel

And we're done!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    My favourite thread on TFB ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    Those frets look perfectly finished. Great work.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27507
    Having played one today, and the day before, and the day before that, I can confirm your judgement is correct @Teyeplayer ;

Not only do they look it, they feel it when you're playing too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    TTony said:
    Having played one today, and the day before, and the day before that, I can confirm your judgement is correct @Teyeplayer ;

Not only do they look it, they feel it when you're playing too.
    I was tempted to add that I should probably pop a few necks in the post to Elliot as he is clearly doing a much better job than the big F&G. 
    tFB Trader
    You guys are too kind! 

And if you did happen to need some fret work done and didnt have anyone you can trust let me know @Teyeplayer !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    One of the couple im finishing up over the last few days,

The first Model 1 Custom off the line!

24" Scale, Gotoh In-Tune cutaway ash tray, 

EDIT: The brief was a 6lb 8oz guitar, I'm pleased to say this is 6lb 6oz (and it doesn't neck dive, I checked!)

The eagle eyed of you will notice we are now ready to pour the concrete in the extension for the sub floor.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Green!

Quite a nice colour lineup for this batch!

We neeeeed to see this lineup but with the necks on!!
    tFB Trader
    Green!

Quite a nice colour lineup for this batch!

We neeeeed to see this lineup but with the necks on!!
    Soooon!

your best in line ;-)
    tFB Trader
    Sorry the lack of posts guys! Had my head down finishing up a joinery job which I finally delivered today (wohoo!) 

Back to guitars now, and for the forseable future!

Here's couple updates,

I have the orange body for @reubenmakesmusic nearly dry enough for polish, and the red one thats going out soon is ready for buffing!

I also am doing a custom order for Steve Fox-Harris of Gary Newman fame, he has toured with his band as his guitarist for years now, such a nice bloke and he's really into everything I'm trying to do!

It's a fat 52 kinda neck, huge 25.4mm at the 1st and 12th! Got a nice rich tint on it, and the body will soon be sprayed as the neck is now complete.

Also for those guys who missed the NGD from @Rich31k I got his guitar to him last week, here is one of his fantastic images

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    Wow that's shiny!
  • the paintjob is SO CLEAN
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3866
    edited September 2021
    For the Android users... Lovely thing
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Orange day!

Certainly takes on different colours in different lights, love it!
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the orange and I'm glad it's finally happened. Now can someone order black please. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom